Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 6:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion and insanity
RE: Religion and insanity
From what I've seen in my father, who actually had a father who was schizophrenic, religion is the main contributing factor to him denying modern medical intervention in any and all parts of his physical body.

His reasoning is that god made our bodies, and doctors are just students of our bodies who try to override gods natural order to make themselves gods. No joke. And he's definitely not the first christian I've come across with this problem, there's many who are mentally ill and refuse treatment thus suffering their families to their fate with a deeply ingrained religious blockade keeping them from being well.

What's more is it is absolutely impossible for me to get him to go to the doctor for his diabetes, and hence his mental state has suffered greatly from the health problems he now faces. In 2011, he called me to tell me he'd be stopping eating and drinking and that he would crawl in a hole and die, which would not be considered suicide in gods eyes. Didn't work, he's still around. But the things he said on the way out triggered his mentally fragile son to begin his own mental breakdown which is still ongoing and very real--only he's suicidal.

Hell, I've even been told that god will heal me if I pray it with the faith of a child and he wills it. Then when I wasn't healed I was told that it was for the best, that god knows best, and that my illness could have altered my future and saved me from an even grimmer future or death. Hence I should be thankful for my illness, take it in stride, and stop complaining.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Religion and insanity - by TaraJo - January 27, 2013 at 6:22 pm
RE: Religion and insanity - by catfish - January 28, 2013 at 2:22 am
RE: Religion and insanity - by Esquilax - January 28, 2013 at 3:54 am
RE: Religion and insanity - by Dee Dee Ramone - January 28, 2013 at 4:09 am
RE: Religion and insanity - by Confused Ape - January 28, 2013 at 4:56 am
RE: Religion and insanity - by Mystical - January 29, 2013 at 6:17 am
RE: Religion and insanity - by Confused Ape - January 29, 2013 at 7:31 am
RE: Religion and insanity - by TaraJo - January 29, 2013 at 11:21 am
RE: Religion and insanity - by festive1 - January 29, 2013 at 12:09 pm
RE: Religion and insanity - by Mystical - January 29, 2013 at 5:27 pm
RE: Religion and insanity - by Confused Ape - January 29, 2013 at 6:26 pm
RE: Religion and insanity - by Zone - January 30, 2013 at 3:37 pm
RE: Religion and insanity - by Confused Ape - January 30, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3932 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10929 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4952 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19931 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Are all forms of religious faith indicative of insanity? (My counter example.) Whateverist 25 3932 May 10, 2015 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 50068 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Do religions promote insanity? RichardP 25 9105 December 12, 2012 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: RichardP
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5212 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused