Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I just confessed my Atheism to friends and family!
I just confessed my Atheism to friends and family!
I've been wanting to do this for a while now! No one knew my new beliefs but my wife (who is still Christian) and 2 people who I knew were atheists... Maybe I took the easy way out by posting on Facebook, but that was NOT easy to do!! This is what I posted:

I've been wanting to say this for a while now:

I No Longer Believe in God or Jesus...!

I've been doubting and having questions for about a year now. I spoke with 3 of my former pastors, and received typical answers ("we're not supposed to understand", "it's God's will", "just have faith", etc..) After being tired of these unsatisfying 'answers', I started looking for answers myself. The more I dug into the bible, the more disturbing stuff I discovered (especially in the Old Testament), and the more I started doubting the validity of the Bible and religion in general...
Some key factors for my decision: The bible was not written by god, but by man, and for many books, we have no idea who wrote them (including the gospels- no, they were not written by Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John). The bible was written nearly 2000 years ago for a bunch of sand-dwelling people (the true nation of Israel). Most of the stories were passed along by word of mouth for generations before finally being written, so imagine the inaccuracy!! Do we as intelligent grown ups really believe in stories of talking snakes and donkeys, the Red Sea parting for an Israeli shortcut, Jonah living in a whale, people rising from the dead???
There are hundreds of 'Gods' in the world. How many of them do you believe in? Me, I just believe in one less god than you do.
I hope I am not offending anyone, and I hope I don't lose any friends over this... I'm still the same ole Marc!! Please don't judge me, don't think I'm a monster or a heathen damned to hell. I have not taken this decision lightly. I hope you all respect my beliefs, and still accept me for who I am!!

I have gotten some positive replies, but most saying they'll pray for me...
Anyway, my wife feels betrayed that I finally 'came out', and I hope this doesn't put a strain on our marriage.. Anyway, wish me luck!
- Marc
- Your friendly Air Traffic Control Atheist.

Messages In This Thread
I just confessed my Atheism to friends and family! - by AtcAtheist - March 3, 2013 at 2:20 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Christian friends SeniorCitizen 12 918 November 21, 2023 at 11:11 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2752 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations Tomatoshadow2 25 1834 April 11, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Standing up to family for what you believe in Tomatoshadow2 30 2396 May 4, 2022 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Family not accepting you're an Atheist UniverseCaptain 45 5397 October 28, 2021 at 12:51 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Questions for your Religious friends. johndoe122931 100 5301 June 5, 2021 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Isnt Atheism just Marxism Sweden83 37 3155 December 21, 2020 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Thanksgiving and Family BrokenQuill92 18 3169 December 7, 2019 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: mordant
  Having religious friends when you're atheist Bahana 15 2653 March 10, 2019 at 1:37 am
Last Post: fredd bear
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27156 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13