Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 11:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.88 Average
Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer.
RE: Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer.
(May 22, 2014 at 2:49 am)snowtracks Wrote:
(May 8, 2014 at 9:02 am)Tonus Wrote: Or conversely, none of this time or resources were expended for the benefit on the human species. We're just a lucky roll of the dice on the way to whatever the actual end result turns out to be.

nice try with the luck thing; but too many events that were spot on happened. when all added together, luck is not considered.

Snowtracks, I have a problem with this design hypothesis.
To say that a god caused it is analogous to saying that the dice were loaded. Suppose I roll two dice, and I roll an 8 as the sum of the two dice numbers. This event isn't technically random. A physicist could do a complicated analysis of their motion to explain how they landed 8. On the other hand, I could accuse John of loading the dice on 8 such that they probably would have rolled 8 regardless of the precise mechanics of their motion. Either explanation would be sufficient. After all, the right explanation doesn't have to be the simplest one.
Okay, but the physicist's explanation would be so complicated that it would still appear "random" to you. You're looking for a simple explanation, an explanation that you can appeal to in the absence of such complicated information. So how do you support the hypothesis that the dice were loaded? Here are the variables we have to consider.

P(L) = the probability that the dice were loaded
P(E) = the (unconditional) probability that the dice were loaded to roll an 8
P(E|L) = the probability that the dice were loaded to roll an 8 under the condition that they were loaded

You want to argue that P(L) is high, that is, that the dice were probably loaded.
The fact that you rolled an 8 increases P(E|L). That is, having rolled an 8, you can say that they were more likely to be loaded on 8 under the condition that they were loaded.
While increasing P(E|L) does increase P(E), it does not increase P(L). That is, with an increased probability that they were loaded on 8 under the condition that they were loaded, there is also an increase in the unconditional probability that they were loaded on 8. But this tells us nothing about the probability that the dice were loaded. To support the claim that the dice were loaded, you need to give a separate argument for why you think loaded dice would have been more likely to be loaded on 8. Maybe John wanted me to roll 8 so that my Monopoly piece would land on his hotel. That argument would work. I'm not convinced that there is a similar argument for a god loading the dice on the Big Bang.
It's no wonder that people think a god loaded the dice on 8. After all, if the god hadn't loaded them on 8, it wouldn't have rolled an 8. Hence us 8-like beings fashioned our gods after us. But that seems to be the only reason for why we have fashioned our gods as we did. If there is a god, it must be like us--If the dice were loaded, they must have been loaded on 8. So what?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer. - by Coffee Jesus - May 22, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debunk the divine origin LinuxGal 35 2325 October 9, 2023 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1349 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Age of the Universe/Earth Ferrocyanide 31 4089 January 8, 2020 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  questions Christians can't answer Fake Messiah 23 2907 October 15, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Acrobat
  Good Christians only may answer... Gawdzilla Sama 58 10201 September 18, 2018 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  No-one under 25 in iceland believes god created the universe downbeatplumb 8 1783 August 19, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15222 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Josh McDowell and the "atheistic" Internet Jehanne 43 6255 February 8, 2018 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Supernatural denial, atheistic hypocrisy? Victory123 56 9660 February 1, 2018 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Miracles in Christianity - how to answer KiwiNFLFan 89 18825 December 24, 2017 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer