Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism and religious ceremonies/education
Atheism and religious ceremonies/education
Tomorrow I'm having a baptism of my 2 year old little brother as a part of the catholic church (he is 19 years younger than me), my question being, how should an atheist behave in such ceremonies? If the priest asks me about my 'faith', should I be straightforward or lie about it to avoid compromising the ceremonial? I already refused to be my little brother's godfather because I had to do my religious education, something my parents never put me into (despite being catholic they never liked churches and priests)

My second question is, should I allow my family to give religious education in the future (in a few years ahead) to my little brother? I wouldn't mind if it was given by my mother, since the same happened to me and she didn't teach me to fear hell and the indoctrination basically didn't exist. But should I allow official religious church education? I'm not very sure about those but I'm sure if I opposed my mother would understand and avoid giving such education. What are your views on this?

I hope this is supposed to be in the Christianity forums since it's related to catholicism
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Messages In This Thread
Atheism and religious ceremonies/education - by Dystopia - June 28, 2014 at 9:42 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rowan williams warns of downgrading of religious education. downbeatplumb 18 7299 April 13, 2012 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  BJU -- Education in Hell Cinjin 36 27139 August 11, 2011 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Ethics Classes vs Christian Education Joe Bloe 9 2630 April 19, 2010 at 4:31 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko