Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 18, 2024, 12:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Banning religious teachings for minors
RE: Banning religious teachings for minors
(July 5, 2014 at 3:07 pm)Rhythm Wrote: The hindu, muslim - and, amusingly, jewish bits were taught as comparative myth, even in the catholic school which excluded christianity here (understandable - they know what side of their bread is buttered and by whom). My public schools made no distinction and included christianity in that as well. I guess I'm asking if this is not ordinary? I assumed that (especially in the case of public schools) it was similar pretty much everywhere?

(yes I know schools and districts differ - plenty of family in education - but the core curriculum would seem to include the sort of stuff you want)

I'm suggesting that this stuff is already taught, and that students are just ignoring their instructors (surprise surprise) or have incentive to ignore their instructors (religious parents/peers/pressure).

Not in any school I've attended, or my kids either. The closest we've gotten is history courses covering the Middle Ages and The Reformation. Unless you count noting that there are such people as Hindus and they mostly live in India and that they have castes; or that there are such people as Jews and they don't accept Jesus and have been persecuted. The beliefs of Hindus, Jews, and Muslims are really not covered.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Messages In This Thread
Banning religious teachings for minors - by Dystopia - July 5, 2014 at 9:19 am
RE: Banning religious teachings for minors - by Cato - July 5, 2014 at 9:27 am
RE: Banning religious teachings for minors - by Chad32 - July 5, 2014 at 9:36 am
RE: Banning religious teachings for minors - by Jenny A - July 5, 2014 at 11:40 am
RE: Banning religious teachings for minors - by Chad32 - July 5, 2014 at 12:03 pm
RE: Banning religious teachings for minors - by Jenny A - July 5, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Banning face coverings robvalue 59 7370 August 21, 2018 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 33098 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope
  37yo priest under house arrest for abusing minors pocaracas 3 1400 December 9, 2012 at 11:05 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat