Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Implications of not having free will
Implications of not having free will
I realise there's a similar thread to this but I wanted to narrow things down to the implications of not having free will, which I honesty find disconcerting. However, if you feel you can provide evidence against my argument for it not existing do feel free, I think I'd prefer to believe I had it!

To start with I will briefly explain why I do not believe we have free will.

Imagine there's a worm crawling across the floor - you shine a torch at it; it's eyes detect the light stimuli which triggers a chain of electro-chemical reactions in it's neural cells, and it moves away from the torch. This automatic response was the only way the worm could have reacted, the result of the chemical structure of it's brain (or ganglia) and the environmental stimuli it was receiving.
Now take a mouse - while it's brain is immeasurably more complex than the worms, it's actions should work is the same way, but with many more possible outcomes.
Seeing as we are animals too, it is only logical to conclude that human free will is purely an illusion of the seemingly infinite number of possible linear responses we can produce. We do make a choice based on our genetics and past experiences, but the choice we make is the only one we could have made given our brains current chemical structure and the environmental stimuli we received.

Sorry if that's unnecessarily long-winded, I could just say free will is impossible in a deterministic universe.

So the important bit is the implications. If what I've just said is true, then that means the future is predetermined. I had to write this post. If I move my finger left then right, I feel like I chose to do that but actually it was the only thing I could have done. I can't choose to stop smoking or to smoke more because it was all decided 14 billion years ago when a quantum fluctuation caused a bubble of space time to start expanding. We're essentially just along for a ride and powerless to change the route we're taking, and I find that odd to say the least.

Is there any other conclusion that can be drawn given the premise?

I've thought about apparent quantum randomness, but:
1. I don't think quantum events really are random(?), they're a superposition of every possible event until they're observed and they become part of the dimension that you and I called home at least up to the point that I posted this thread;

and 2. Even if they were random, our reality is built on the probabilities arising from the quantum world and is therefore effectively deterministic for humans anyway.

My knowledge of quantum physics is very limited so correct me if I'm wrong here!

Messages In This Thread
Implications of not having free will - by Spacedog - January 7, 2015 at 5:28 pm
RE: Implications of not having free will - by Dystopia - January 7, 2015 at 5:34 pm
RE: Implications of not having free will - by Esquilax - January 7, 2015 at 7:30 pm
RE: Implications of not having free will - by Dystopia - January 7, 2015 at 7:35 pm
RE: Implications of not having free will - by JuliaL - January 7, 2015 at 9:04 pm
RE: Implications of not having free will - by Angrboda - January 7, 2015 at 6:18 pm
RE: Implications of not having free will - by Dystopia - January 7, 2015 at 7:23 pm
RE: Implications of not having free will - by bennyboy - January 8, 2015 at 8:22 pm
RE: Implications of not having free will - by Alex K - January 7, 2015 at 6:29 pm
RE: Implications of not having free will - by Spacedog - January 7, 2015 at 7:59 pm
RE: Implications of not having free will - by Anomalocaris - January 9, 2015 at 5:46 pm
RE: Implications of not having free will - by JuliaL - January 9, 2015 at 6:51 pm
RE: Implications of not having free will - by IATIA - January 7, 2015 at 6:33 pm
RE: Implications of not having free will - by Alex K - January 7, 2015 at 6:43 pm
RE: Implications of not having free will - by IATIA - January 7, 2015 at 7:15 pm
RE: Implications of not having free will - by Spacedog - January 7, 2015 at 7:33 pm
RE: Implications of not having free will - by Mudhammam - January 7, 2015 at 6:59 pm
RE: Implications of not having free will - by Spacedog - January 7, 2015 at 8:21 pm
RE: Implications of not having free will - by Mudhammam - January 7, 2015 at 10:00 pm
RE: Implications of not having free will - by Spacedog - January 8, 2015 at 5:08 pm
RE: Implications of not having free will - by Mudhammam - January 9, 2015 at 5:35 pm
RE: Implications of not having free will - by Spacedog - January 26, 2015 at 6:41 pm
RE: Implications of not having free will - by Alex K - January 7, 2015 at 8:16 pm
RE: Implications of not having free will - by professor - January 26, 2015 at 7:05 pm
RE: Implications of not having free will - by IATIA - January 26, 2015 at 7:12 pm
RE: Implications of not having free will - by Pyrrho - February 8, 2015 at 5:48 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oh no not another free will thread. Edwardo Piet 309 36665 April 29, 2018 at 11:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why free will probably does not exist, and why we should stop treating people - WisdomOfTheTrees 22 4566 February 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees