Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 3:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indoctrination
RE: Indoctrination
(January 30, 2015 at 12:51 pm)Roxy904 Wrote: They don't even mention them.
That's not surprising, I figure there's a bit of "that would never happen here" at work. My mother often took some delight in pointing out the existence of such scandals for the mainstream Christian churches, but to my knowledge she is utterly clueless to the known instances involving JWs and would readily accept any defense of those men or simply fall back on either "they weren't True Believers" or "yeah, but they were caught and tossed from the organization." Presumably (actually, I'm sure of this) she would drop the subject if it was pointed out that some of them were protected by the organization and even moved around in the hopes of avoiding scandal.*

*Which is perhaps the most mystifying part of any of these scandals. Considering the recidivism rate of such criminals, moving them around simply guarantees that when they are finally unmasked, the damage done has been increased dramatically. In other words, when your religious organization moves them from one area to the next, they do so with the understanding that they will target and victimize more people.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Messages In This Thread
Indoctrination - by Roxy904 - January 29, 2015 at 8:19 pm
RE: Indoctrination - by Dystopia - January 29, 2015 at 8:37 pm
RE: Indoctrination - by SteelCurtain - January 29, 2015 at 8:48 pm
RE: Indoctrination - by AFTT47 - January 29, 2015 at 9:04 pm
RE: Indoctrination - by Nope - January 30, 2015 at 10:40 am
RE: Indoctrination - by Norman Humann - January 30, 2015 at 10:53 am
RE: Indoctrination - by Minimalist - January 30, 2015 at 12:47 pm
RE: Indoctrination - by Roxy904 - January 30, 2015 at 12:51 pm
RE: Indoctrination - by Tonus - January 30, 2015 at 1:09 pm
RE: Indoctrination - by Aisha - January 31, 2015 at 2:45 pm
RE: Indoctrination - by Violet - January 31, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Darkmatter vid: indoctrination and reinforcement robvalue 14 2208 February 25, 2016 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Drich
  Religious indoctrination of children shipleyy 91 42306 April 2, 2012 at 2:37 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko