Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 22, 2024, 3:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Genesis is not fact, there for Jesus is not necessary?
RE: Genesis is not fact, there for Jesus is not necessary?
(March 4, 2015 at 3:37 pm)FiveSpotCharlie Wrote: Please forgive me if this has been covered. I did search, but didn't find anything that seemed to address this directly.

I'm having trouble with what to me seems like a very simple concept.

In it's simplest possible terms:
Evolution is a Fact, we evolved as a species, not from a single human.
Therefor, Genesis in the Bible, in particular Adam can't be fact.
Without Adam, there is no Original Sin.
Without Original Sin, there is no need for Jesus Sacrifice.
Jesus Death is THE pillar of Christianity.
Christianity is unfounded, and therefor false.

What am I missing? Why is this seeming simple progression not a total refutation of Christianity?

Again.. if this has indeed been covered, I apologize, and ask for a quick link.

Try this out as an alternative take on the issues in your post (for the sake of debate).

Assuming most right minded people buy into the concept of evolution, at some point in history there is one male we are all descended from (Most Recent Common Ancestor - MRCA), also there is a single female who is the MRCA of us all. So, while there is no Adam and Eve per se and these common ancestors are thousands of years apart it does seem that we are descended from one man and one woman.

This doesn't mean they were the only male and female alive in their times, just the male and female from which we are all descended, he is called Y-chromosomal Adam (50-60,000 years ago), she is called Mitochondrial Eve (150-200,000 years ago).

[Image: MtDNA-MRCA-generations-Evolution.svg]

Secondly, at some point in the very distant past there would have been a male/female pairing that gave rise to the mutations that became our ancestors and eventually Homo Sapiens, so while they were almost certainly not Homo Sapiens there will be some kind of convergence in our far-off distant past.

Which unravels the rest of your argument.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Genesis is not fact, there for Jesus is not necessary? - by ManMachine - March 5, 2015 at 9:02 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this a contradiction or am I reading it wrong? Genesis 5:28 Ferrocyanide 110 10336 April 10, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  There are no answers in Genesis LinuxGal 248 21178 March 24, 2023 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Free will and the necessary evil Mystical 133 16890 December 16, 2022 at 9:17 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Free will and the necessary evil Mystical 14 1601 November 11, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Atheist Bible Study 1: Genesis GrandizerII 614 71113 March 9, 2019 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  [Serious] fact finding mission for non-Christians tackattack 52 4389 March 7, 2019 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Genesis interpretations - how many are there? Fake Messiah 129 17770 January 22, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: donlor
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 38326 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  The Holy Bible - fact or fiction? val5662 101 13564 March 28, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Free interpretation of the Genesis 3:5 KJV theBorg 19 3818 November 13, 2016 at 2:03 am
Last Post: RiddledWithFear