Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Prisoners be set Free When Their "Crime" Becomes Legal?
RE: Should Prisoners be set Free When Their "Crime" Becomes Legal?
(June 11, 2015 at 7:23 pm)Dystopia Wrote:
Quote:Well, because we differ in our opinions about what people can do with their own bodies, we probably won't come to an agreement on this, but I'll address your points:

I support bodily autonomy and self-determination - I just don't think it is an absolute right (none is)

I do, though.  Like I said, we're probably going to have to agree to disagree on some of these points.

Quote:
Quote:1. the right to live and physical well-being are both individuals' choices, IMO.  I think assisted suicide should be legal, for example. 
You don't understand my point - The right to live and physical well being are inalienable rights, meaning no one can harm you or take your rights away. The right to live means, above all else, that you have the right to circulate without being murdered and the right to physical well being means people can't beat you for fun or use your body for scientific experimentations (just a couple of examples). Assisted suicide isn't a problem because, with consent, some rights can be restricted by yourself.

I understand your point, but I think physical autonomy is an inalienable right. That some laws violate them doesn't make it right, IMO.  

Quote:
Quote:2. I think the idea of banning smoking altogether is ridiculous.  
Great, but many people disagree.

And I disagree with them.

Quote:
Quote:3. if a consenting adult of sound mind consents to slavery, I have no problem with it.
I entirely disagree. If you support human rights, then you must know human rights' theory is based on the principle of inviolability  and inalienability - Meaning that you have personhood, rights and you can't lose them. Consenting into slavery and becoming a slave means, by definition, losing your rights and becoming property of someone else, you have the same legal status as a chair or a desk.

Not losing your rights, rather giving them up, which I think should be someone, of consenting age and sound mind, should have the right to do.

Quote:So, if you support this, does it mean it's ok for me to have a slave, rape them, beat them and use them for labour as I please? Your quest for individual autonomy is familiar, but it has contradictions - Namely that you think human rights are important but also don't mind people losing them. That's not going to work.

Again, it's not losing a right if someone is choosing to do it. It's an important distinction.

Quote:I see no problem with weed both from an individualist and collectivist standpoint.

As for seatbelts and helmets laws - When I think of those laws I don't really think about the terrifying burden of wearing them, but of the children and families who lose relatives because they were distracted and didn't wear it...

But we deal with heartache and death every day. The "what about the children" types of arguments don't really sit with me.

Quote:Not to mention it's a great way to grab some state-funding that is necessary to run public services.

So are laws that call for fines for violating said rules.

Quote:A fine is a healthy reminder to wear your seatbelt - My dad only wore them because he was afraid of being fined - And it worked. When you drive you are using your vehicle but roads and public spaces are usually the government's property - If the government provides a space for you to drive it is only fair to abide by the road's rules - Namely how to drive, park, brake, turn, wear the seatbelt, etc.

How to drive, parking, braking, etc. are important laws to protect the rights of other motorists; wearing a seatbelt isn't, IMO.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should Prisoners be set Free When Their "Crime" Becomes Legal? - by rexbeccarox - June 11, 2015 at 7:43 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should public transportation be free? Fake Messiah 41 2785 July 26, 2022 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 6994 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Are religions that preach inequality for women and gays, traitors to their country? Greatest I am 129 5676 February 8, 2021 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Let’s take their guns BrokenQuill92 141 9961 November 22, 2020 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Incest should be legal because homosexuality is Rein83 52 5743 August 6, 2019 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: viocjit
  Two Old Pros - Doing Their Thing Minimalist 8 1047 November 28, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Palestinian rock throwing, but isnt that against their religion? Kimbi 1 516 September 4, 2018 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  FOX Being Dragged Down By Their Anchor Minimalist 10 1669 August 23, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Fools And Their Money! Minimalist 10 1127 May 18, 2018 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Finally Fox [Faux] News is being called out for their shit NuclearEnergy 3 1462 December 16, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician