Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 21, 2024, 4:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Postmodernism
RE: Postmodernism
(July 29, 2015 at 10:07 pm)lkingpinl Wrote: I would like to discuss this quote from GK Chesterton on the postmodern man and how non theists feel it applies, if it all, to them.

I won't pretend to understand postmodernism, either this week or any other.  But I think there is something worthwhile in this criticism.  I don't think it applies to all skepticism, but it does apply to reflexive skepticism for its own sake.  Skepticism doesn't warrant elevation from a tool to an ideal.  Turning everything complex and messy about yourself over to any such ideal is a form a self abnegation and leads to alienation.  

That isn't to say that loyalty to the faith of our fathers is any better.  Truth be told, there is no easy way out of answering life's important questions which doesn't amount to at least the deformation of the self, if not its annihilation.  Certainly all fundamentalist forms of religious faith are even worse than habitual skepticism because there is so much less room for self expression of any kind - unless you count speaking in tongues.

Messages In This Thread
Postmodernism - by Kingpin - July 29, 2015 at 10:07 pm
RE: Postmodernism - by brewer - July 29, 2015 at 10:23 pm
Postmodernism - by Kingpin - July 29, 2015 at 10:40 pm
RE: Postmodernism - by Athene - July 29, 2015 at 10:42 pm
RE: Postmodernism - by TheRealJoeFish - July 29, 2015 at 11:39 pm
RE: Postmodernism - by TheRealJoeFish - July 29, 2015 at 11:46 pm
RE: Postmodernism - by Whateverist - July 30, 2015 at 12:16 am