Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 8:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rant about weight, fat acceptance, obesity and health
RE: Rant about weight, fat acceptance, obesity and health
Dys, the foods available in our grocery stores..by and large, are not significantly different from the food at mcdonalds.  In fact, mcdonalds chicken nuggets have a more amenable nutritional profile than the chicken nuggets my grocery store puts their in-house label on.  So, if I wanted to get my kids some nuggets (and they love em, lol) I'd be better off hauling their silly asses to the Micky D's.  Our grocery stores are essentially warehouses for unhealthy non-food....because it is more profitable, and less perishable.  The things we eat, and what things are available for us to eat, have everything to do with how much we weigh.  It's beyond absurd, to suggest otherwise.

We could go through the demons resume our post harvest production industry has built for itself, line by line, just since 2000...to see how this situation arose, if you like.  TBT, we started down this road -long- before then.   How we apportion wic and ebt, for example.  -Forcing- people on public assistance to buy unhealthy food,  might not have helped our situation.  Upholding GRAS designations and allowing a self determined portion of GRAS additives to be in food...but not directly listed...might not have helped our situation. This is a favorite of mine..did you know that a military grade nuerotoxin is Generally Recognized As Safe as a component of -baby food- advertised to promote brain health...couldn't make this shit up..could I? They don't even have to disclose the fact that it's in there...or do any tests to see what it's effect might be...and guess what, it's in -all- of the baby food..we shipped it around the world too..you're welcome.  The reason that it's in the baby food, is that we use it to cut the marquee nutrients out of their growing medium here in Kentucky. That's right, one old retrofit brewing plant in one US state managed to load the -worlds- baby food up with nuerotoxin -in a single year, with a stockpile of ten years to go..before closing up shop because there was very literally no more babyfood to put this shit into. Why did anyone put it into their baby foods in the first place..because the other guy did it, and to the consumer, that means the others guys stuff has more stuff in it. Moving on, pumping subsidies into the least healthy things we either grow or eat...might not have helped our situation.

As far as social acceptance goes, I don;t think it has much to do with socially accepting "fat people", as we have accepted, socially, the current status of our food industry...and for a great many of us, this is at least in part based upon the economics of it, so, not exactly something you accept..so much as something you deal with. People who spend an exorbitant amount of time at work...and yet mystifyingly remain impoverished already have their dietary options constrained. Grocery stores cater to the same consumer that McDonalds does, and so their product is similar or, in some cases, inferior. Didn't use to be that way, now it is. So, the situation as it stands, is that an American has X amount of dollars with which to purchase food - and y time to prepare it. The products offered to us that fit within both x and y....are, by and large, not entirely healthy. Even foods you might think of as healthy, have been altered. That nutritional value has been extracted from them as a profit stream in our processing apparatus. It is sold as another product, and buying the old "healthy product" will not buy you that...anymore. Not that we have a whole lot of choices here, mind you, we process for non-trivial reasons.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rant about weight, fat acceptance, obesity and health - by The Grand Nudger - October 30, 2015 at 9:41 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Health Supplement no one 0 287 July 24, 2023 at 7:28 am
Last Post: no one
  Nutella is for fat people and kids, right? Foxaèr 12 995 November 6, 2020 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Health advocates do not condemn these gatherings as risky for COVID-19 transmission Agnostico 108 7446 June 14, 2020 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Agnostico
  2019 has sucked a fat one so far SteelCurtain 11 1425 February 19, 2019 at 8:16 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Self entitled meaningless rant. Brian37 4 754 October 22, 2018 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Very low fat recipes purplepurpose 39 2556 August 21, 2018 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Anyone makes mental health jokes... Mystic 61 14478 March 23, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Why should I be ashamed? A rant by a Mexican. J a c k 61 10498 March 20, 2018 at 6:26 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  I've lost more weight Foxaèr 14 1805 February 21, 2018 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What is your weight and waist size? ErGingerbreadMandude 52 7824 November 26, 2017 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude