Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Truth in a story which is entirely dependent upon subjective interpretation
RE: Truth in a story which is entirely dependent upon subjective interpretation
(January 1, 2017 at 12:43 pm)Astonished Wrote: I seriously don't get this. To make the claim that there is any truth, let alone the 'only', and absolute, undisputed truth, and yet having thousands of denominations disagreeing on every possible opinion (and justifiably so since it contradicts itself so much), how do people answer this? I've not seen a response on youtube and I don't know if a primarily atheist forum is a good place to get an answer, but I'd sure like to know. I mean, that's just the tip of the iceberg really. What passages are metaphorical and which literal? And how would one tell the difference? It seems like an impossible mess. Is this just another situation where it's ignored or some really bottom-of-the-barrel-scraping answer is all we get?

These are my thoughts on the subject. First of all, christians don't disagree on everything in the bible, but if you take any manuscript written thousands of years ago in Hebrew or Greek, and then translate into a modern day language, you're going to have much disagreement on the meaning of parts of the writings. I don't think that the bible was written to be a manual. It was written with the purpose of leading people to Christ. All christians agree that Jesus Christ is the savior and the only way to God. There is nothing in the bible that says that all followers of Christ must have the exact same opinion of every passage in the bible. Maybe we'll all know the meaning when we get to the next life. Many older christians know more about the bible than newer ones, but they are all equal followers of Jesus. Why would God choose this way? Maybe he wants us to search, discuss and debate, which makes it much less boring.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Truth in a story which is entirely dependent upon subjective interpretation - by Lek - January 3, 2017 at 8:56 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which version of xtianity is most likely to be correct? FrustratedFool 20 1150 December 8, 2023 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The Way, the Truth, and the Ugly LinuxGal 0 430 October 1, 2023 at 11:45 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Get your story straight LinuxGal 1 951 November 29, 2022 at 5:26 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Serious] The Story John 6IX Breezy 115 9887 November 21, 2022 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  What do Catholics think of Frollo from "Hunchback of Notre Dame" story? Woah0 2 626 August 26, 2022 at 9:46 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
Thumbs Down The story of Noah' s Ark - or - God is dumber than you. onlinebiker 75 6938 September 24, 2021 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The ridiculous story of the temptation of Jesus Simon Moon 24 2595 March 4, 2021 at 6:05 am
Last Post: GUBU
  angel story video form Drich 107 10301 April 23, 2020 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Drich
  which version of christianity is correct? Drich 86 8931 March 30, 2020 at 3:34 am
Last Post: Dundee
  The Jesus story has details that is most definitely made up i just realized!!! android17ak47 126 9120 October 12, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire