Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 7:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential
RE: The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential
(April 21, 2018 at 11:07 am)Hammy Wrote: It's useless as the scientific experiments show... that people make all their decisions before they are conscious of them.

My issue with Dennett is that he at best defines his ontology in a ridiculous overly pramgatic way that only deals with reality when he thinks it is useful (putting him in the yucky Jordan Peterson camp) and at worst he makes a categorical logical error by equivocating on two different definitions of "real". And he makes the total non-sequitur that because conscious experience is a "user illusion" that subjectivitiy itself isn't really there. Which is just a total non-sequtiur and subjective experience is the one thing that MUST be real. He says there is no real seeming, but that is more absurd than saying there is no real objective universe.
Realtime control of decisions is not a requirement for usefulness.  I would suggest that you consider the benefits of reflective observation, memory, and long term planning..which don't necessarily inform our immediate actions, but have a cumulative baseline setting effect on future action.

Quote:Oh right now it's back to your annoying tactic of saying you agree even when we plainly disagree. Literally, I don't care if you say you agree, you're saying things I disagree with, so we don't agree whether you like it or not. We may agree on one point, but we fundamentally disagree on many. And once again, you're being misleading. I am thoroughly convinced that you won the best debater category by fooling, misleading and stawmanning people because in a debate it's all your ever seem to fucking do. I'm not dense enough to miss it.
I think it's important to focus on the things we don't disagree about in a conversation about disagreement.   You and I both agree that there are a range of potential biological solutions to specific problems.  You and I agree that there may be other ways that some behavior x is achieved.  We do not agree on this summary of potential biological solutions and functional alternatives to consciousness as indicative of the uselessness of x.  

Quote:No I wouldn't consider it useless if it actually did... but it doesn't. Once again, you're being irrelevant and misleading. My point is that the scientific evidence supports consciousness not actually influencing behavior.
Is your support for this limited to being useful at realtime decisionmaking?  I agree that this is an interesting subject, we agree that consciousness plays far less of a role in that than it seems, or that we expected to find.  I'm cautioning against defining evolutionary utility so narrowly.  

Quote:Crap analogy. Scientific experiments don't show that flight or wings have no benefit.
We come to the first special pleading case.  Wing/flight is somehow different from brain/mind.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential - by The Grand Nudger - April 21, 2018 at 11:20 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 125 6244 February 27, 2024 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1492 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3712 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Does the fact that many non-human animals have pituitary disprove Cartesian Dualism? FlatAssembler 36 2225 June 23, 2023 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1692 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Understanding the rudiment has much to give helps free that mind for further work. highdimensionman 16 1123 May 24, 2022 at 6:31 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 13684 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Metaethics Part 1: Cognitivism/Non-cognitivism Disagreeable 24 1587 February 11, 2022 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2725 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  In Defense of a Non-Natural Moral Order Acrobat 84 7335 August 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet