Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 6, 2024, 11:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Qualia Soup "Putting Faith In Its Place"
RE: Qualia Soup "Putting Faith In Its Place"
Peace....

Quote:Ok, so you're arguing for something that's independent of natural processes in that first paragraph, it's supernatural/magic, gotcha.

On some occasions, for the sake of argument I argue for the supernatural, however, the most accurate representation of my position is that there are no real supernatural events. All activity is natural, however all activity does not comply with the rules which govern material activity. In this sense materialists have hijacked the word "Nature" .

Quote:You argue that all things that can't be proven to exist in a state independent of physical processes, should be discounted, and then go on to argue for the existence of a consciousness. Am I to infer that consciousness HAS been proven to exist independent of physical processes (proof please)? So you're arguing for the existence of a consciousness, which isn't natural, but supernatural?

I am arguing that Consciousness has a relationship with material, however, it survives this relationship and it also preceded the relationship.

There are those who have vehemently argued that the brain produces consciousness, however, studies conducted by the scientific community have demonstrated that while the brain is dead, and the heart is not functioning, in many reported cases consciousness survives. I posted a link to a lecture given by Dr. Parnia relating to his investigation into near Death Experiences and the temporary survival of consciousness while a person is clinically dead. No Brain activity or heart function, no other functions of the organs.. If you listen carefully to the last 45 seconds of this video you will hear Dr. Parnia say that he and other Doctors have conducted studies wherein people who were dead were resuscitated and were able to report with great accuracy exactly what was happening in the room.

Quote:Also: Why are you discounting thing's that can't be proven (Especially when it can't be proven that this consciousness exists)? It can't be proven to exist, nor can it be proven to not exist, unless it is impossible (triangles with 7 sides and what-have-you).

I think this thread before it is over will help convince you that consciousness exists...

Whirling Moat

Messages In This Thread
RE: Qualia Soup "Putting Faith In Its Place" - by Darth - May 23, 2011 at 11:53 am
RE: Qualia Soup "Putting Faith In Its Place" - by Whirling Moat - May 26, 2011 at 8:42 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Faith Media: Global Christian Population to reach 3.3 BN by 2050. Nishant Xavier 270 13158 September 30, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1478 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Question about "faith" rockyrockford 428 35216 December 22, 2020 at 9:50 am
Last Post: Apollo
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2881 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4490 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  If the Bible is false, why are its prophecies coming true? pgardner2358 3 1649 June 9, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Why Science and religious faith are in conflict. Jehanne 28 7858 May 1, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why Anarcho-Capitalism Is a Canard and Its Implications for Atheism log 110 12688 January 19, 2017 at 11:26 pm
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Believers, put yourself in my place. Gawdzilla Sama 102 13091 November 23, 2016 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  My atheism religious faith is being shaken... Won2blv 37 8843 November 14, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene