Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What You Need to Remember About Science
What You Need to Remember About Science
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/...ight-years

Ben Goldacre wrote up a little blurb starting with this:

Quote:I've got to go and finish a book: I'll be back in six months, but in case it kills me, here's what I've learned in eight years of writing this column.

The whole thing is good, but I wanted to pull out the three paragraphs that mean the most to me - why I don't get bored hearing skeptics and scientists go over the same material again and again for newcomers and as refreshers:

Quote:Real scientists can behave as badly as anyone else. Science isn't about authority, or white coats, it's about following a method. That method is built on core principles: precision and transparency; being clear about your methods; being honest about your results; and drawing a clear line between the results, on the one hand, and your judgment calls about how those results support a hypothesis. Anyone blurring these lines is iffy.

Last, nerds are more powerful than we know. Changing mainstream media will be hard, but you can help create parallel options. More academics should blog, post videos, post audio, post lectures, offer articles and more. You'll enjoy it: I've had threats and blackmail, abuse, smears and formal complaints with forged documentation.

But it's worth it, for one simple reason: pulling bad science apart is the best teaching gimmick I know for explaining how good science works. I'm not a policeman, and I've never set out to produce a long list of what's right and what's wrong. For me, things have to be interestingly wrong, and the methods are all that matter.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Messages In This Thread
What You Need to Remember About Science - by thesummerqueen - November 8, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why groups of people can remember something that didn't happen GrandizerII 4 1571 January 4, 2016 at 7:03 am
Last Post: robvalue
  If you could have a science lesson... Jacob(smooth) 11 5090 December 20, 2013 at 8:55 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science FifthElement 23 7635 June 25, 2013 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Rahul
  what science comes easy to you if any? justin 46 9064 April 10, 2013 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Science Laughs: Science Comedian Brian Malow orogenicman 4 4240 December 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Lethe