Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 11:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do mimsy atheists gyre and gimble in the wabe?
RE: Do mimsy atheists gyre and gimble in the wabe?
(July 2, 2009 at 8:10 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Actually, it would tell me you know very little about evolutionary biology. I have yet to meet a creationist who understands evolution properly ...

First, you provide evidential support for my statement here. If I said, "I am a creationist," you would make an assumption about what I know, judging me based upon your experiences with other creationists. The fact is, "I am a creationist" does not provide any information in the statement itself about what I know, which means—as you have proved—you have to make an assumption ("supposing a thing without proof") drawn from prejudice ("judgment or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge of the facts") that was formed by previous experience you had with people who were not me.

Second, being a creationist does not preclude knowledge of evolutionary biology. I know creationists who well understand evolutionary biology, and I'm aware of creationists who hold relevant degrees and are vocationally involved in biological fields (e.g., Dr. Paul K. Chien; degrees in biology and chemistry, Ph.D. while research associate for marine invertebrate physiologist G.C. Stephens). Off the top of my head, Dr. Hugh Ross is a high-profile example of someone who affirms both special creation and evolutionary biology. (Furthermore, most people—atheists included—do not hold degrees or conduct peer-reviewed research in evolutionary biology; what they know comes from public education and reading popularizers of science, such as Dawkins. Hopefully you don't discredit people for not earning degrees in biology, or think that people without degrees cannot speak on the issues.)

Third, there are different classes of creationist. There are creationists who hold the Genesis account as literally true, and those who do not. There are creationists who believe that God providentially sustains creation on an ongoing basis, and those who believe creation was a one-off event after which evolutionary forces took over. There are creationists who believe the world was created no more than 10,000 years ago, and those who believe the earth is around 4.54 billion years old. I could go on, but this all supports the fact that "creationist" doesn't tell you half of what you think it does.

(July 2, 2009 at 8:22 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Greetings. Welcome to the forums, Arcanus.

Thank you very much, sir.

(July 2, 2009 at 8:22 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: You may be a Christian but I think I've found something we have in common. (And, believe me, it's hard to find people who have this in common with me. Many who claim to 'not get bothered easily', the stress is on the word easily; they still get 'offended' every now and then.) I'm what I like to call 'unoffendable'. Shit, I wish that was a real word. I think it should be.

Well, mimsy atheists notwithstanding, I think there are a lot of things that Christians and atheists have in common. I think more often than not they are so fixated on differences that their commonalities are overlooked. Atheists esteem science; what, and Christians don't? Christians esteem charitable work; what, and atheists don't? Some Christians, such as myself, absolutely love science and are endlessly fascinated by scientific discovery. Some atheists are extraordinarily charitable, always doing what they can to help others. There is lots of common ground to be enjoyed, provided we can avoid letting our differences consume us.

(July 2, 2009 at 7:28 pm)bozo Wrote: Would you care to explain your "truth leads to God" thing under your name?

Um, isn't it self-explanatory? Which term confuses you? Let me know and I'll try to explain.
Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when
called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason.
(Oscar Wilde)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do mimsy atheists gyre and gimble in the wabe? - by Ryft - July 3, 2009 at 6:08 am