Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 12:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do mimsy atheists gyre and gimble in the wabe?
RE: Do mimsy atheists gyre and gimble in the wabe?
Dawkins gave rather a good description of the god that was presented to me in childhood. An image that was good enough to lure me into holy communion at the age of seven (since then I've been highly allergic to these flavourless holy cookies). Nowadays it seems that an advanced course in theology is needed to comprehend the deeper meaning of the christian god, to find the really, really, real christian god.

With more than 3000 denominations it certainly is possible these days to snack your own christian religion in a cafetaria model that draws from all these denominations and every personal flavour you like to add. If you attack Dawkins on his imagery than you also are obliged to attack 99% of mentioned denominations. The more liberal image of the christian god is only trailing liberal cultural developments on social and moral issues. The trouble is, the christian god lacks definition, but when someone like Dawkins adresses key elements that are present in most, scorn is the warm embrace of christianty.

Dawkins is no more interpreting god than any of the thousands of christian denominations.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do mimsy atheists gyre and gimble in the wabe? - by Purple Rabbit - July 11, 2009 at 9:13 am