Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 5:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Made in Alexandria: The Origin of the Yahweh Cult
RE: Made in Alexandria: The Origin of the Yahweh Cult
(January 12, 2013 at 11:44 am)popeyespappy Wrote: Why should we have to accept a 4th century radio carbon date when it conflicts with both the scriptural analysis and with other radio carbon dating that places it in the 2nd?

Quote:Through paleographic analysis of the Hebrew script, scholars date the scroll to between 125 and 100 B.C. Radio¬carbon dating of the leather of the scroll indicates a date between 202 and 107 B.C. The scroll is currently housed at the Shrine of the Book, part of the Israel Museum in Jerusalem. A replica of this scroll was on display in the Qumran exhibit.

http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/publicat...hapid=1446

I have come across one unsurprising thing in biblical carbon dating. If it is not related to the bible the dating will be expressed as, for example, 2150 +/- 50 years old. The biblehuggers will give it a firm age of 2200 years old. Of course the dating lab will also use the +/- dating. The way it is done, 2200 has a lower probability of being correct than 2150 and the SAME probability as 2100. While they will claim "reasonable" for 2200 they will scream foul at anyone suggesting 2100.

(January 12, 2013 at 1:02 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I have to run out, Mouse, so I'll get back to you later. Let me just say that your assessments of ancient literacy are spot on. You wouldn't believe the arguments I've had with fundie morons who insisted that all Jews were literate in the Bronze Age so they could read the fucking torah!
Beyond bizarre. One even told me that "jewish mothers" are known to want their children to become doctors and lawyers.

L8r.

I know why they claim it. Around 1870 or so some Jews got the idea from the gospel story of the young Jesus in the temple that there was such a ceremony in ancient Judaism. Thus a 12 year old had to read.

In consideration of this conviction they INVENTED the Bar Mitzvah ceremony. To repeat, invented in the 1870s. It did not exist before that. It is an anecdote in that book "X? thousand years, the weight of jewish history" where an eastern European rabbi poisons a visiting western European rabbi for promoting the Bar Mitzvah heresy.

Think of it. Modern Judaism with the Christian sacrament of Confirmation. Perhaps the ROTF part is it is almost always memorization not literacy.

I almost forgot.

(January 12, 2013 at 8:35 am)Aractus Wrote: you ignore that too. You offer no explanations for any of this.

That is also a lie because I have taken the time to explain every one of them.

Mischaracterization and misrepresentation are also lies. I am not required to tolerate it nor inclined to indulge letting lies pass the fourth or fifth time around.

(January 12, 2013 at 12:37 am)Minimalist Wrote: It can be a rewarding intellectual exercise BUT one must dismiss the bible bullshit stories at the outset. If you are going to insist on video evidence you are more or less stuck in the 20th century or later.

Of course I am not insisting upon having been made into a documentary or on Youtube. What I am against is excusing the absence of physical evidence for any reason.

Percentagewise at least the Israel part of bibleland is the most dug place in the world in matters archaeological.
http://www.giwersworld.org/bible/bibleland.html
Quote: Percentagewise bibleland is the most dug place in the world. There is no excuse for not finding the same physical evidence as is found for other civilizations.

Egypt has more digs and more archaeologists. But in bibleland, which in this case includes modern Israel as well and parts of Lebanon, Syria and Jordan, professional and amateur archaeologists and thieves have swarmed the land for a century and a half. During this time the local population has increased five to ten times greater than a century and a half ago. All of those new people dig the ground to build homes and cultivate news lands for food.

Particularly in Israel highways and high rises and parking garages have been built. And still nothing has been found which would confirm the bible stories as real history.

Israel's museums are also evidence as they display what has been found in Israel and the West Bank and East Jerusalem. They contain large amounts of Roman period artifacts and a much lesser number of Greek period architects. Pre-Greek artifacts are but a handful. And in many cases they are as likely Egyptian as they are of local origin.

Because of all of this digging and searching, intentional and accidental, not finding evidence to support the Old Testament stories indicates the Old Testament being total fiction.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Made in Alexandria: The Origin of the Yahweh Cult - by A_Nony_Mouse - January 12, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Origin of April Fools? Goosebump 2 538 April 2, 2023 at 3:41 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Allah/Yahweh/Jesus are like....... Brian37 10 2986 April 23, 2017 at 7:34 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Cult of Alice dyresand 2 1183 April 14, 2015 at 8:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist