Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 6:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Made in Alexandria: The Origin of the Yahweh Cult
RE: Made in Alexandria: The Origin of the Yahweh Cult
You are sounding more and more and more like a troll. Angry

Let me pick apart your argument for you.
  • I have no interest in unprovenanced religious traditions or beliefs or the opinion of so called scholars.
1. I'm not presenting you with religious traditions.
2. You're theories are way outside of general scholarly consensus. Not only that, but most secular historians would rightly disagree with you too.
  • I am only interested in physical evidence. If there is none then there is none.
I have given you physical evidence. The problem is that you don't think it's evidence.

The Dead Sea Scrolls (DSS) have been called the greatest archaeological find of the 20th century, and the greatest manuscript discovery of modern times. Fragments of 21 out of the 22 Jewish scripture scrolls were discovered, which contained part of almost all 39 books as we Xians count them. The fact that not all were discovered isn't significant in itself because for some of the 21 scrolls there was only fragments found from one manuscript.

The Great Isaiah Scroll has been palaeographically dated to the 2nd century BC. However, you don't think this is evidence, thus the only conclusion you can draw from the scientific evidence is that it was written in the 4th century BC - as I will demonstrate.

The Great Isaiah Scroll has been carbon-14 dated at least 4 times. Two of the tests, provided in two separate labs, yielded nearly identical results. The calibrated data gives you the range of 335-324 BC and 202-107 BC.

Now think about that for a moment, why is there a gap from 323 BC to 203 BC? That's it keep thinking. Thinking

Did you work it out?

Manuscripts like this one were used for hundreds of years before being "retired". To carbon date manuscripts like this, you take a sample of the ink, and usually a sample of the paper as well. Scribes had the job of maintaining them, as well as making copies. You put new ink on top of old ink and BOOM you've thrown off the carbon-dating. Thus, since you want to ignore palaeographic opinion and rely solely on hard science, the only date that you can accept for this manuscript is 4th century BC.

I'd love to know how you think you can ignore the world's best palaeographers AND the science of Carbon-14 dating as well. Rolleyes
  • Believers cannot slip their traditions into the vacuum.
I haven't given you church tradition as evidence. Angry
  • Without physical evidence they have no merit or standing at all despite what self-declared scholars say about each other and their traditions.
Banging Head On Desk

What gives you more credibility than the contemporary scholars and historians you seem to hate so much?
  • Whether or not a person chooses to call himself a scholar, a word which by itself qualifies you and I as scholars, is a meaningless and superfluous description. It is a matter of historical record that beliefs have always been considered greater than facts.
Banging Head On Desk

I.have.given.you.facts.
  • I could suggest the old but irrefutable evidence that Moses wrote the Torah because of the words and language style of it are so much older than the later books. WToday "scholars" have mostly retreated to saying it was written after the (mythical) return from Babylon. Were "scholars" lying when claimed to find word differences or are they lying now in not seeing the differences?
Moses is believed to be the author of Genesis. Many scholars, in fact most, would say it was written c. 1400 BC. I push the date back further to 2400-2200 BC since that's when I think the Exodus was.
  • Non-specific reference to loan words is not evidence.
I'm not a palaeographer. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH! Angry
  • Way back when there was a claim based upon words and phrases that the Septuagint had to be the copy because of the "Hebraisms" in the Greek.
OK I'm going to point this out to you AGAIN. There is no such thing as "The Septuagint". What you keep calling "The Septuagint" is just the fifth column of the Hexapla. Do you have an exact copy of that? No you don't. Is there a complete intact ancient LXX manuscript? No there isn't. Can you prove to me that the fifth column was a complete manuscript (or set of manuscripts) before Origen put them together in the Fifth column? No you can't. Do you have any evidence at all that Origen used a "single" source/version for the fifth column? What's that? No you don't.

No ifs, no buts, no maybes. The LXX as you and I know it dates to mid 3rd century AD. 245 AD to be exact. You have plenty of Hebrew found in the DSS that predate it by 3 centuries and more. Where's your evidence that Origen had a "complete Septuagint" before he started??

Show me your facts. What's that you say? You don't have any, you think that Origen created the LXX himself from scratch? Perfect.
  • As to the meaning of theory, it is an explanation of the facts. The more facts explained the better the theory. There is no "theory" of Hebrew being the original as it has never been more than a religious tradition.
Um yes there is and there has always been. Angry The book of Daniel has necessitated the need for the theory since it is unusually dual-language, and many critics going all the way back to before the time of Christ claimed that it wasn't originally written in Hebrew/Aramaic.
  • As to the C14 dating of the one scroll, let me repeat. I cannot find that dating claim in any credible source which would include the laboratory and citation of the publication of the results. Further I said I cannot find any proper citation of dating of any scroll older than the 1st c. BC.
Right of course, how sill of me, it was made up. Rolleyes

(January 12, 2013 at 11:44 am)popeyespappy Wrote: Why should we have to accept a 4th century radio carbon date when it conflicts with both the scriptural analysis and with other radio carbon dating that places it in the 2nd?
Good question, and I've answered it above. Big Grin

In short, the palaeographic dating disagrees with the C14 dating by about 200 years. The later C14 dating is not significant because it probably is the "fresh ink" on top of the old ink. Conversely, you can't put old ink on top of new (well you can, if you burn paper and mix it in with the ink to intentionally throw off carbon dating, this is how forgeries are done). So it depends on which you think is more reliable. If you're going to claim that palaeographers are lunatics who are not to be trusted, then you have no choice but to accept the 4th century date.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Made in Alexandria: The Origin of the Yahweh Cult - by Aractus - January 12, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Origin of April Fools? Goosebump 2 538 April 2, 2023 at 3:41 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Allah/Yahweh/Jesus are like....... Brian37 10 2984 April 23, 2017 at 7:34 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Cult of Alice dyresand 2 1183 April 14, 2015 at 8:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist