Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 3:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why cuts everywhere, regardless of budget, is lunacy
RE: Why cuts everywhere, regardless of budget, is lunacy
To present a side of the coin not given any due thusfar - investing at current rates and then deferring payment on that investment into the future is a great way to garner a discount or turn a profit with even a small measure of inflation accounted for. Many of us have ourselves benefited from this minor thrift (though not on the scale that our Gov is capable of achieving) when we deferred our student loans by continuing with the minimum amount of credit hours required after completing our degrees (or while we hold in stasis pondering over what direction we want our educational futures to take).

IOW, the tens of thousands of $ you incur as debt today in a low interest deferred loan will likely be "worth" a whole lot less in ten years, while your earning power will be substantially higher. The longer you can defer the loan the less you pay (relative to the current value of the currency) and the more profit the investment returns. The same principle holds true for research. If you can pay today's rate for said research at a point in the near-mid inflationary future with an expectation of return on that research it hardly makes sense to withhold the funds (or credit). Now, most organizations offering loans attempt to account for this inflation - and most people (including our government) seek sweetheart deals to circumvent this modification.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why cuts everywhere, regardless of budget, is lunacy - by The Grand Nudger - January 16, 2013 at 11:11 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Senator Alexander Shits On The WLB's Fucking Budget Minimalist 6 1821 September 13, 2017 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Ann Coulter Reminds the WLB That His Racist Fans Don't Care About Tax Cuts Minimalist 29 6847 September 1, 2017 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  And our defense budget increases NuclearEnergy 22 4026 August 8, 2017 at 8:30 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  PBS CEO Warns That Federal Cuts will Sink Some Stations c172 10 1751 August 1, 2017 at 1:54 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Just attempted to have a civil discussion with a Trump supporter about his tax cuts NuclearEnergy 6 1415 April 27, 2017 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Minimalist
Sad US Defence Budget 5thHorseman 17 6369 December 7, 2011 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: paintpooper
Wink Budget cuts, you're the President. 5thHorseman 32 10480 October 31, 2011 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Silly Republicolibertarianazi bitch gets Ryan's budget Minimalist 8 2095 May 25, 2011 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah