Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 11:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[ARCHIVED] - The attributes of the Christian God exhibit logical contradictions.
RE: The attributes of the Christian God exhibit logical contradictions.
NOTICE:
BY MUTUAL AGREEMENT AT THE REQUEST OF SAERULES,
the Formal Debate is terminated, effective immediately.

By mutual consent achieved through private correspondence, Saerules has expressed considerable frustration with the form and rules of formal debate. From this experience she realized that she had not really understood the nature and impact of debate guidelines. For example, she asked about the propriety of raising new arguments near the close of the debate, as we currently are, and I informed her that it would be bad form because it denies me the opportunity to respond to them. I can certainly appreciate and respect her lack of experience with formal debate, her frustration at constraints imposed by ethical debate form, and her desire for a more informal setting, so by no means do I hold this against her, nor do I think this reflects badly upon her in any way. Furthermore, it is my own request to you, as members of our AtheistForums.org community, that you likewise do not view this as reflecting badly upon her. It was her lack of experience with formal debate, not any weakness of her arguments, that motivated this request to transition into a more informal setting, so that she could have more liberties at exploring the strengths of her arguments. I think she ought to be applauded for the courage of her convictions in agreeing to debate them and her ability to articulate them in the face of inexperience. I certainly appreciate her efforts and tenacity and look forward to exploring her arguments in a more informal setting, which will begin now.

It was established from the outset that, upon completion of the four debate rounds, "the participants will open themselves up to questions, if there are any, from members who followed the debate." That still stands. If you have any questions for either Saerules or myself, strictly relevant to the arguments presented in the formal debate, you may ask them now. You are limited to three succinct questions and one follow-up round. Although Saerules and I will continue debating informally, priority will be given to those outside questions.

Edits:

Added PDF copy of formal debate.

Attached Files
.pdf   Debate_Saerules-Arcanus_Sep2009.pdf (Size: 123.08 KB / Downloads: 308)
Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when
called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason.
(Oscar Wilde)

Messages In This Thread
RE: The attributes of the Christian God exhibit logical contradictions. - by Ryft - September 28, 2009 at 3:03 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [ARCHIVED] - A Discussion of the "All-Powerful" Nature of Gods Tiberius 5 4393 October 11, 2009 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Secularone
  [ARCHIVED] - Evidence Vs Faith Edwardo Piet 82 29565 September 20, 2009 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  [ARCHIVED] - God(s), Science & Evidence leo-rcc 2 3912 May 11, 2009 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  [ARCHIVED] - Creation vs. Evolution Ashlyn 70 30345 April 6, 2009 at 4:16 am
Last Post: Darwinian