Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 19, 2024, 2:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you believe in the God of the Bible, why try to prove it logically?
RE: If you believe in the God of the Bible, why try to prove it logically?
(July 2, 2013 at 1:37 am)fr0d0 Wrote: What do you think of this Missy C?

I think Inigo puts it perfectly:

(July 1, 2013 at 7:52 pm)Inigo Wrote: And why do you keep saying 'come from god'? My claim is that morality requires a god to exist. Water requires H20 in order to exist, because water IS h20. But water doesn't 'come from' H20 does it?

1. Morality's instructions are instructions that confer reasons for compliance to any and all to whom they are addressed.
2. Only the instructions of an agent who has control over our interests in an afterlife and wishes to harm those interests should we fail to do as she instructs/favours would be instructions that would confer a reason to comply to all to whom they are addressed.
3. Morality is an agent of the kind outlined in 2 above.

An agent of that kind is, on common usage, 'a god'.

I think you're in denial about what God is. The version of God you relate is anti God. It's self contradictory/defeats itself. I think you're perfectly justified in rejecting it.

You have a problem, I think, divorcing that concept from anything which vaguely resembles it.

I'd like an explanation as to what you believe is the concept that I have trouble divorcing myself from, then a reason why you believe your beliefs are exempt from my reasoning. I don't see anti god, in relating what the 'holy words of god' say compared to the character of such god. Its possible to judge a judges' character by his judgements is it not?

I do think what inigo (sounds suspiciously similar to previously banned inDigo) says is circular because what he says starts with an assumption that refers its appeal to authority back on that assumption without an outside confirmation.

Morality is just a word. We all base our morality on different things; I base mine on existencial rights knowing full well that no one is enforcing those rights. Some people base theirs on those of the society they believe in, some people don't even believe morality exists. I agree to a point. The point being that because we exist we have rights and nothing circumstancial about our lives (like being born to a prince or a Canaanite) can change our status or the implied righrs that go along with that status. Even monkeys understand its bad to eat that treat if it means pushing a button that electricutes another monkey in order to get it. Inigos implied belief that morality is something that was implemented by a god would have evidence backing up his clai'm and there isn't anything observable in nature that gives a solid basis of rules of morality. Rather what I see are for the m ost part unconnected acts and behaviour being blanketed by a generalized word called morality that neither describes a class of rules nor implies a rule maker by default.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: If you believe in the God of the Bible, why try to prove it logically? - by Mystical - July 2, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are Paul's writings in the Bible? Fake Messiah 122 6886 October 8, 2023 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Jerry Falwell Jnr "not a christian" and wanted to prove himself to not be like Snr GUBU 18 2002 November 1, 2022 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Why you can't find God MilesAbbott81 109 9864 September 19, 2022 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44710 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 8684 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Rainbow Why I believe in Jesus Christ Ai Somoto 20 2840 June 30, 2021 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Bible Study: The God who Lies and Deceives Rhondazvous 50 5582 May 24, 2019 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  How can you prove that the gospel of Mark is not the "word of god"? Lincoln05 100 12059 October 16, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  In the end, there's just what you personally believe Foxaèr 31 5006 August 12, 2018 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? vorlon13 92 9263 July 23, 2018 at 8:20 am
Last Post: SteveII