Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 19, 2024, 9:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you believe in the God of the Bible, why try to prove it logically?
RE: If you believe in the God of the Bible, why try to prove it logically?
(July 19, 2013 at 10:46 am)Faith No More Wrote: I must say, it's nice to see Drich debating a different piece of fiction for once.

The one in which Luke blew up the Death Star and killed tens of thousands of people after listening to the voice in his head? Not all that much different, really.

Plus I don't think Lucas was all that much of a genius. Sure, the original trilogy was fun with some fascinating story strands and which would stand today as classic cinema if only he'd quit dicking around with it. However, consider this:

Princess Leia obtains the Death Star blueprints, beamed specially to her ship, and spends the first two acts of the original film actively resisting the Empire's attempts to recover them, not to mention protecting the Rebel base location. She hides the plans inside R2D2 with orders to locate Kenobi and get them delivered to her father on Alderaan. She even allows herself to be captured in order to divert attention from the droids and she is willing to die to protect the information, even gambling her home planet. She is a true leader and hero of the Rebels (I'm not even going to mention that the Empire pretty much forget about the stolen plans immediately after capturing her.)

While this is going on, Kenobi et al have found the remains of Alderaan and are captured by the Empire. They don't even know that Leia's aboard the station at this point; their focus is on freeing the Falcon and escaping. Rescuing Leia is just a bonus.

Okay, so they've escaped - and this is where the whole story goes down the pan. Vader and Tarkin have planted a homing device on the ship and allow it to escape. Now this is the important bit: Leia is fully aware of this. I can't stress that enough. She's realised their escape was too easy and therefore the Empire must be tracking them. So what would you do in that situation? Ditch the Falcon in deep space somewhere and hitch a ride on a ship without a tracking device on it? Look for the device on the Falcon and dump it out of an airlock? How about beaming the vital plans to another ship and then leading the Death Star on a merry wild goose chase across the galaxy? If you said yes to any of those options, congratulations - you're smarter than anyone aboard the Millennium Falcon, who go for the common sense route and proceed to lead the Death Star straight to the Rebel base. A base, remember, for which the Empire has literally no clue of the location. Bear in mind as well that none of the Rebels have even seen the stolen plans, so have no idea of their contents. Still, no worries; thanks to their brave and noble Princess, their one and only hope, they've now got a few hours at most to look for a weakness they might be able to exploit - that is, if there even is one ("I only hope that when the data is analysed, a weakness can be found.")

This complete dropping of the ball in the third act is especially mystifying, because right up until then, all the characters (and particularly Princess Leia) had done exactly the right things. Such totally out of character behaviour, that throws the first three quarters of the story so wildly off track, positively reeks of third-act desperation.

Nice one, George. No wonder you left the writing and direction to someone else for the sequels.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Messages In This Thread
RE: If you believe in the God of the Bible, why try to prove it logically? - by Cyberman - July 19, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are Paul's writings in the Bible? Fake Messiah 122 6900 October 8, 2023 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Jerry Falwell Jnr "not a christian" and wanted to prove himself to not be like Snr GUBU 18 2002 November 1, 2022 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Why you can't find God MilesAbbott81 109 9876 September 19, 2022 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44777 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 8693 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Rainbow Why I believe in Jesus Christ Ai Somoto 20 2840 June 30, 2021 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Bible Study: The God who Lies and Deceives Rhondazvous 50 5588 May 24, 2019 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  How can you prove that the gospel of Mark is not the "word of god"? Lincoln05 100 12059 October 16, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  In the end, there's just what you personally believe Foxaèr 31 5006 August 12, 2018 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? vorlon13 92 9268 July 23, 2018 at 8:20 am
Last Post: SteveII