Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 5:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible?
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible?
(February 19, 2014 at 3:01 am)max-greece Wrote: OK GC,

I have to say I have now re-read your response and frankly its awful:

You accept that everything Joseph did was based on a dream and then regard that as a reliable source of information for him - without a hint of irony.

Dreams were a main way of God communicating with people, so why would I find it strange that God did so with Joseph, and Joseph had more dreams also, not just one.

Quote:You insist Emmanuel is a prophetic name without any justificaiton and your research didn't yield any support for you that you have cited.

You and the rest of the bunch rely on Wiki all the time, yet when I use it you reject it, double standard shame on you, Emmanuel is a prophetic word or name.

Quote:I'm saying no Christian understands the trinity. You are then saying that I am using my lack of understanding of the trinity as a dodge?

No one can completely understand the Trinity, our minds are to small to understand a being such as God. If we could completely understand it then God would not be so great, now would He. I didn't say anything about your lack of understanding of the Trinity, I was referring to anything you might not have a complete understanding of. You're the one who said Christians were dodging because we do not completely understand and I'm saying that you have to hold yourself to that same standard on things you do not completely understand.

Quote:You say the scapegoat was a foretelling of Jesus - I'm saying it was an idea copied. Impasse.

If that was the only reference to Christ in the OT, I might tend to agree, however even before that there were many references to Christ, Issac was just one. God used Issac to show Abraham that He would do what He had asked Abraham and Issac to do. The OT is all about the Messiah, it's everywhere, God was showing His people the need for a messiah sacrificed. It amazes me how many people do not see this purpose for the OT and the Israelites.

Quote:Christianity doesn't disavow good deeds - it merely tells its followers that they have no value in getting a place in heaven. Hardly a ringing endorsement is it.

The good deeds of the Christian is to authenticate our salvation, without them as James said where is your salvation. It's essentially our own proof of what was given by grace. You and most atheist here hang onto a once saved always saved idea, this is not scriptural and this is coming from a Southern Baptist, one who has question the teachings to find the truth in scripture.

Quote:Answers like "God created hell Christians didn't make it up" are fairly useless to an atheist. Until proven otherwise Christians did indeed make it up.

The same applies to "You talk as if Christianity was a plan by man."

Lots of things I bring to the table are useless to atheist, I tell things that only can be understood by the saved, I do not do this necessarily by choice, but because that's what atheist want to argue.

GC Wrote:Christians do not have the license to sin at will and anyone who believes this will find themselves in a bad position come judgement.

Quote:Well according to Christian tradition and as explained by Jesus himself (Prodigal Son?) Christians are free to do whatever the fuck they want to as long as they get that confession in at the end.

Go back and read the story of the prodigal son, keep this in mind as you read, he left his father with all of his inheritance (salvation) and wasted it. The son eating with the pigs was an indication of his lost inheritance (salvation). If he had not realized what he had done he would have never been accepted back. The Father (God) recognized his heart felt sorrow and accepted him back with open arms. This is not just saying I'm sorry and going and doing the same thing over and over, God the Father will not allow man to make a mockery of the huge price Christ paid for man.

Quote:You're happy to rub shoulders in heaven with the worst kind of sadistic bastard as long as he has sincerely apologised - as I said before - peachy!

The sadistic bastard you speak of will not be that in heaven, even God has forgotten all his sin and I say what an amazing God I have and why, because He finds the forgiveness for the sadistic then I know He has forgiveness for me.

Quote:You missed the point that the people that met Jesus were't convinced.

Interesting that you state the closest people to Jesus were his mother and the 12. I agree that would be typical of a gay man but I don't think you have evidence for it.

Evidence for what? It's you that have missed the point, the first people I mentioned was the women who faithfully followed Jesus, and Martha was one who knew Jesus was for the lost, John 11: 23-27, if you want to see I'm telling you the truth through scripture. Jesus also told the disciple and Martha to leave Mary alone as she anointed Him with oil, because she understood He was not going to be with them much longer. You should at least read the NT without the bias you have in the past.

Quote:Yes - after his death and once the bandwagon had started rolling the brighter of his brothers jumped on board. Why not? During his lifetime? That would be no.

And I suppose you have proof of this?

Quote:Most prophets were not rejected. Jesus was. God failed? Why do you think there were so many false Messiah's around at the time? Demand perhaps? So even with a people so desperate for a Messiah - he failed. You know Judaism doesn't even regard Jesus as one of the better false messiahs.

Statements like this cause me to think you haven't read the scriptures especially the OT. The Prophets were killed, mocked, thrown in pits, beat and even one prophets wife was used by other men, now tell me does that sound like the Israelites had respect for the prophets. The prophets were mostly hated because they exposed Israels sin and told them of the doom to come.

Quote:Jesus fails to convince the Jews he is the Messiah and you cite the free will argument? WTF GC? Don't you see how that appears? Surely? Jesus can't convince people he is the real deal because the have free will? We are not talking about direct evidence here - we are talking about presenting your case - and he failed. David Blaine would have done a better job.

Free choice is what it's always been about with God, this is why you and others can not grasp upon Christ, free will points to sin and you just can accept you are a sinner.
How many times did Jesus tell His disciples not to reveal who He was to the people and do you even know why He said this. He said over and over if people can not believe by the miracles they see then why would they believe being told who He was, this is so easy to see but some how you have managed to not see, maybe you are purposely blinding yourself to the teachings in the NT.
It's told in scripture that at the end people will believe in a false messiah, probably a David Blaine type of deception, the gullible will be the ones who will fall for this deceit. Scripture says God will protect His from this deception.

Quote:I'd better include the next bit:
Quote:
This is supposedly the same God that appointed Abram/Abraham/Israel, Jacob, Joseph, Saul, David, Solomon etc. etc. (to name just a few). None of them failed in their primary mission, yet Jesus did?

GC Wrote:They all failed miserably only through God's work was their missions successful. Jesus on the other hand has saved billions from eternal torment. He willingly gave up His life, and He took it back again, He lived a perfectly sinless life, haven't seen anyone else accomplish those things have you.

Quote:Oh of course - the Christian fall back of anything that works is God's work and humanity is merely the tool. Anything that fails, of course, that's man. God did it for the prophets - but not for Jesus, who failed? Man right?

WRONG, you are not even making sense now. It's all God's work, again you have failed to understand scripture because you go at it with biased opinions, you never question yourself, yet you have the gall to ask me to, I do as a matter of fact. Not about the reality of God but of how I understand scripture and I will say my understanding has changed over many years.

Quote:Then the totally unsubstantiated claim of saving billions of sinners - no proof of course.

I know for a fact I'm saved and most of my family and many people I've gone to church with over the years. Just because you do not believe so doesn't mean anything to Christians, we have our proof and do not need your approval.

GC Wrote:"haven't seen anyone else accomplish those things"

Quote:Haven't "seen" him do it either an neither have you.

All in all then - the worst response I have yet seen from a theist on these forums - and that is really saying something.

I don't need to see it and if sight is what is required as proof of past events then we can dismiss most things as hearsay. Like I said before if my worse response trounces your points then what does that say about you, not much I'm afraid.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.

Messages In This Thread
Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by catman - February 15, 2014 at 11:56 pm
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by Lek - February 17, 2014 at 10:18 pm
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by Godschild - February 21, 2014 at 2:21 am
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by Lek - February 21, 2014 at 10:07 pm
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by Lek - February 21, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are Paul's writings in the Bible? Fake Messiah 122 6835 October 8, 2023 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44420 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Other burning bush Fake Messiah 12 1687 May 13, 2021 at 8:58 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Birmingham Archdiocese 'ignored abuse to protect reputation' zebo-the-fat 6 1218 June 21, 2019 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: squidfetish
  Why believe the bible? Angrboda 286 38258 July 22, 2018 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Josephus and other contemporaries on Jesus JairCrawford 271 34306 July 14, 2018 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The other problems with Noahs ark dyresand 27 5164 April 7, 2017 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Christian Hell vs. Other Hells? TrueChristian 17 4790 January 13, 2016 at 12:59 am
Last Post: green.joel2
  Why Christians can't respect other's opinion? rado84 83 14872 July 15, 2015 at 3:40 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  life on other planets drfuzzy 26 5783 July 6, 2015 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Iroscato