Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 9, 2024, 12:18 am

Poll: I claim...
This poll is closed.
that God exists empirically
21.05%
4 21.05%
that I believe in God
21.05%
4 21.05%
none of the above
57.89%
11 57.89%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Q: do you, Christian, claim that God exists, rather than you believe that he exists?
RE: Q: do you, Christian, claim that God exists, rather than you believe that he exists?
(February 22, 2014 at 6:08 pm)Lek Wrote: I don't reject "empirical" scientific evidence and I just posted to another thread today concerning archaeological evidence for the bible. I trust science to the degree that we should. But I also believe in the existence of the supernatural even though science rejects that.

So... you trust science up until the point that it contradicts something you want to believe. Dodgy

Quote:Too many very intelligent people throughout the centuries believed in the supernatural for me to dismiss it - science or not.

Argument from popularity: many people believing something doesn't make it true, and by the way, how many of those smart people also believed in a flat earth, or alchemy, or any number of demonstrably flawed concepts?

Quote: If you're not open to anything other than science, then you're the closed-minded one. Science has been proven wrong often, but I wouldn't dismiss it because it has been correct very often. The same and other very intelligent people believed in science also, but I and they wouldn't put all our eggs in that one basket.

I think you have a very skewed view of how evidence and investigation work, Lek. The bible is correct on a number of things, however, that doesn't mean everything in the bible is true; Spiderman comics have New York in them, that doesn't mean Spiderman exists. Its magic claims still have yet to be demonstrated, or even shown to be possible... which is the problem we have.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Q: do you, Christian, claim that God exists, rather than you believe that he exists? - by Esquilax - February 23, 2014 at 7:51 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good exists - a Catholic comments Barry 619 36439 October 30, 2023 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 8507 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Thumbs Down The story of Noah' s Ark - or - God is dumber than you. onlinebiker 75 7251 September 24, 2021 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Armageddon. Does it make Jesus rather evil? Greatest I am 21 2209 February 9, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89761 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Hell, or rather my brief experience of it. Drich 206 85061 December 23, 2019 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: no one
  In the end, there's just what you personally believe Foxaèr 31 4889 August 12, 2018 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  The believer seems to know god better than he knows himself Foxaèr 43 8198 June 2, 2018 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  If Yahweh exists, is he a fraud? Cecelia 33 5404 November 17, 2016 at 5:00 pm
Last Post: Drich
  The problem with "One true church claim" by catholics Romney 8 2132 August 30, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13