Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 15, 2024, 8:13 am

Poll: If you're not a Feminist, are you a Sexist?
This poll is closed.
Yes, because men rule the world and suck at it
8.00%
2 8.00%
No, it's a False Dichotomy and completely disingenuous
60.00%
15 60.00%
Unknown, how can you know if they're sexist that easy...
32.00%
8 32.00%
Total 25 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"If you're not a Feminist, you're a Sexist"
RE: "If you're not a Feminist, you're a Sexist"
(April 12, 2014 at 4:30 pm)Quantum Theorist Wrote:
(April 12, 2014 at 4:27 pm)Deidre32 Wrote: It is fair, because it demonstrates why feminism originated. It demonstrates what women have had to undergo, and how, even to this day, they are often not paid an equitable salary their male counterparts, for doing the same job. That's why it's relevant.

We still don't have a female President. Hilary Clinton's aspirations of running for President, has caused her to gain media scrutiny over her looks. lol I mean, really? She's an incredibly accomplished, intelligent woman, but as long as she is female, she will be judged differently than a man running for office. That's a relevant and very real example.

It is what it is. I enjoy being a woman, but sexism and discrimination didn't just evaporate when women received the right to vote. Change takes time, and we have come a long way, but there are sooo many areas that need improvement.

Men are not marginalized in this way. Although, what I'd like to see change is women not automatically being granted custody of their children in divorce proceedings, simply because they are women. It seems a ''bad'' mother could be given parental rights over a fantastic dad, just because the laws have always favored women.

But, why is that? Because historically, women have raised the children. A paradigm created by Christian man, mainly. But, we won't bring religion into it. lol

I hear your points, and appreciate them.

Okay, please provide examples of how white heterosexual men have been marginalized. So far, this is just your opinion.

What I say is true. If it weren't, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Complete bullshit. Hilary lost to Obama because of their stance on the war. Hilary was in favor of it and Obama wasn't. It had nothing to do with gender. Hilary was literally in the lead the whole time until Obama came out with his anti-war rhetoric and change rhetoric. Hilary will likely be the next president, so where will your excuse be then about straight white male oppression. And I did give you an area of oppression, prison statistics and child custody was brought up earlier as well.

You are using prison stats to support your assertion that white, heterosexual men are oppressed? Just so I'm clear.

Not disagreeing about why Hilary lost, but that's not what I posted about.

I agree about legal/custody hearings, but I don't believe that is an entire gender being marginalized, as I personally know men who have been granted joint custody, no problem. So, while it's prevalent, it's far from a problem for men. (as an entire gender)

But, since we're on that, when a teen girl finds herself pregnant, often, the 'fathers' are nowhere to be found. It becomes solely the responsibility of the girl to raise the child, and the teen fathers are not being held accountable.

Why are men given the choice of when to be held accountable for their children?

Messages In This Thread
RE: "If you're not a Feminist, you're a Sexist" - by sven - April 11, 2014 at 4:13 pm
RE: "If you're not a Feminist, you're a Sexist" - by *Deidre* - April 12, 2014 at 4:42 pm
RE: "If you're not a Feminist, you're a Sexist" - by Sedna - April 13, 2014 at 11:33 am
RE: "If you're not a Feminist, you're a Sexist" - by Sedna - April 13, 2014 at 12:04 pm
RE: "If you're not a Feminist, you're a Sexist" - by Cato - April 13, 2014 at 12:46 pm
RE: "If you're not a Feminist, you're a Sexist" - by Sedna - April 13, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Great... now movie posters are sexist? IanHulett 114 13267 September 25, 2016 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why 'Women's Sports' is sexist ErGingerbreadMandude 83 8341 March 12, 2016 at 1:08 am
Last Post: Jenny A
  Feminist Threatens to Rape Herself Anonymously LOL Shell B 38 10731 August 26, 2015 at 8:53 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Did I do something wrong? I just got called a radical feminist. IanHulett 29 3320 August 25, 2015 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: IanHulett
  [split] I like to necropost :) (was Feminist reports rape threat made by self) Mothonis 6 3765 December 31, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Sexist washing instructions Doubting Thomas 23 6681 March 6, 2012 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Should Facebook Ban Sexist Pages? thesummerqueen 15 3001 November 6, 2011 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  How sexist are you? Facejacker 54 13177 August 4, 2010 at 12:25 am
Last Post: KawaiiKoneko