Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 19, 2024, 6:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Believers, please differentiate these gods.
RE: Believers, please differentiate these gods.
(May 6, 2014 at 8:18 am)alpha male Wrote: I'm not asking you to believe anything.

Let's not engage in sophistry, you came into the thread to give an opinion, you clearly want us to consider it.

Quote:God B is pretty silly: this god manifests in reality but this god's actions do not manifest in reality. The god himself is observable in the universe, but he doesn't do anything. With god B we wouldn't expect accounts of his actions, but Christianity has that.

I think the OP kind of poorly worded his description of B, give that the characteristic listed at the end is "this god exists." I've seen this type of reasoning set out before, back then it went "god B exists, but doesn't manifest in reality," which I think is self explanatory.

Quote:No, in the case of C, we wouldn't expect accounts of his presence or actions, but Christianity has those.

Could you do me a favor and stop treating us all like we're idiots? It's really clear to see that this is begging the question, and no amount of ignoring the first part of my post where I explain why is going to change that. This line of reasoning here is truly ridiculous, to the point where I don't want to insult your intelligence by assuming that you actually believe it.

You say a god that doesn't exist wouldn't have accounts of his presence or actions, and then you proceed to live in a universe where there are countless gods that have accounts of their presence or actions, and yet you don't believe they exist. Clearly, you're not so convinced of your own logic there, and why would you be? I wouldn't want to have to accept the existence of Odin and Vishnu and Allah and every last god that has ever been depicted, either.

But don't engage in special pleading by asserting that your god exists because of those accounts, but not any of the others that have identical accounts. While you're at it, don't attempt to oversell the value of those accounts either; you're talking about miracle claims restricted to one book, that has a vested interest in having people believe those claims. Circular reasoning.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Believers, please differentiate these gods. - by Esquilax - May 6, 2014 at 8:32 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you feel about all these creationists? suddenlymark 32 3474 August 15, 2023 at 8:01 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Someone should tell these people Buddha never existed Vincenzo Vinny G. 14 4702 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me" ignoramus 121 21467 March 5, 2021 at 6:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Questions about the European renaissance and religion to non believers Quill01 6 710 January 31, 2021 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Big gods came after the rise of civilizations Foxaèr 24 2517 April 9, 2020 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  10 Syllogistic arguments for Gods existence Otangelo 84 11415 January 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
Information How to discuss religion with believers? Scientia 161 16440 February 20, 2019 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Reading the bible: please help! ignoramus 71 15094 October 8, 2018 at 1:52 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Always Proof Your Yeast! Fuck Proof of Gods! chimp3 12 2061 September 9, 2018 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3893 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus