Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 18, 2024, 10:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the function of religion?
RE: What is the function of religion?
(May 15, 2014 at 10:47 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: That would only apply to a very narrow definition of religion which would exclude some extant religions from being religions. There's no inherent contradiction to an atheist or secularist constructing a religion without belief in any deities.

Do you even know the definition of religion?[Image: bird-onion-head-emoticon.gif]

(May 15, 2014 at 10:47 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: Religious humanism comes to mind.

It’s hard for me to accept that the religious humanism it's a religion because it lacks a system of spiritual beliefs. [Image: yawn-onion-head-emoticon.gif]
If you ask me the word "religion" in the title have nothing to do there. I would call it Humanist philosophy, or Humanist traditions.
Secularism is the separation of the state from religious institutions. So the last thing they would do it’s embrace or develop a religion. Not even Religious Humanism.
You wanna know why Secularist will never accept Religious Humanism? Because Secular humanism. That's why they invented in the first place. The fact that you think that they overpass their own humanism for a religious humanis it’s silly.

(May 15, 2014 at 10:47 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: Jainism has some supernatural characters but no creator. Without folk religion added to it, the question of whether a God exists is considered pointless in Buddhism.

Okay I don't know what you think atheism is but I think that you don't understand it very well. You think that atheism only rejects christianity Islam and all the other theologies that mention supernatural divinities? Atheism it's against all religions. Not only this ones but all religions.
And you think that if we remove all the creator entities from religions we can develop a religion that we(atheists) can approve? Jainism? Buddhism?

So you think that we who reject christianity eternal afterlife would be okay and won't have any problems with accepting Jainism and Buddhism reincarnation beliefs? Do you think that a Jainism philosophy of a eternal universe would investment experiments and promotes the teachings of the origin of the universe trough the Big Bang?
Don't you think that the promise of future retaliations originated from a bad Karma mentioned in the Jainism won't have the same negative impact that the actual christian beliefs have with it's promise of eternal damnation originated from the sins? Do you think that atheists who don’t believe in any spiritual plain of existence will be okay with Buddhism six realms of existence? Do you think that atheists who are against hijab would be okay won’t question Buddhism who shave it’s hair?

(May 15, 2014 at 10:47 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: Jainism has some supernatural characters but no creator.

And you think that atheists will be okay with a religions with supernatural characters because…?

Jainism claims that homosexuality would result in negative karma, as sexuality is only to occur between a husband and wife; celibacy is required on the path to spiritual liberation……
[Image: hehe-onion-head-emoticon.gif]Yeah but you may be right if that won’t create any future social problems whatsoever.

(May 15, 2014 at 10:47 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: And then there's Raellianism: the aliens they worship are not supernatural beings, so it's not a theistic religion in any conventional sense.

You suggest a not theistic religion THAT WORSHIP ALIENS!!![Image: whaaat1-onion-head-emoticon.gif]
Yeah good luck convincing an atheist or secularist that’s a good idea.[Image: yawn-onion-head-emoticon.gif]

(May 15, 2014 at 10:47 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: And belief isn't a requirement to be a Unitarian, as long as you're a liberal.

Religious liberals aren’t against keeping all the religious traditions…and atheist and secular does oppose to that.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Again I’m gonna sound like an ass but again I don’t care.

(May 15, 2014 at 10:47 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: There's no inherent contradiction to an atheist or secularist constructing a religion without belief in any deities.

You think that the deities are the only problem that atheist and secularist find in religions? Because if you do then you are nuts.(And I'm saying nuts to be polite, because the term I think it's extremely offensive)

An atheist constructing a religion isn't contradictory?
A secularist establishing a religion in a society isn’t contradictory?

Look if you can’t see the none sense of what you are saying right there I can’t help you.[Image: sigh-onion-head-emoticon.gif]

You can reply to me if you want but I'm not gonna respond. This conversation is pointless.

Messages In This Thread
What is the function of religion? - by Hegel - May 14, 2014 at 8:19 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Hegel - May 14, 2014 at 10:22 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Bad Wolf - May 14, 2014 at 11:24 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Bad Wolf - May 14, 2014 at 9:15 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Foxaèr - May 14, 2014 at 9:48 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Whateverist - May 14, 2014 at 10:37 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Confused Ape - May 14, 2014 at 11:26 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Anomalocaris - May 14, 2014 at 12:17 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Hegel - May 15, 2014 at 3:42 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Hegel - May 16, 2014 at 7:31 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Ryantology - May 16, 2014 at 7:21 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Hegel - May 16, 2014 at 7:41 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Ryantology - May 16, 2014 at 11:27 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Hegel - May 17, 2014 at 1:16 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Angrboda - May 14, 2014 at 2:54 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by archangle - May 14, 2014 at 8:25 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Zidneya - May 15, 2014 at 10:35 pm
What is the function of religion? - by Rampant.A.I. - May 14, 2014 at 8:59 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Zidneya - May 14, 2014 at 9:12 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Hegel - May 15, 2014 at 3:47 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Cato - May 15, 2014 at 3:51 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Hegel - May 15, 2014 at 4:01 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Hegel - May 15, 2014 at 5:53 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Zidneya - May 16, 2014 at 12:55 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Hegel - May 16, 2014 at 1:49 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Zidneya - May 16, 2014 at 4:33 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Hegel - May 16, 2014 at 5:57 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Zidneya - May 16, 2014 at 11:10 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Last Things - May 16, 2014 at 12:22 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Bob Kelso - May 16, 2014 at 5:19 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Mr Greene - May 16, 2014 at 10:15 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by archangle - May 16, 2014 at 11:53 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by paulpablo - May 17, 2014 at 2:47 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10988 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4974 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19944 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 50279 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5222 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused