Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 10:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You know what really grinds my gears?: The moaning thread.
RE: You know what really grinds my gears?: The moaning thread.
(August 27, 2014 at 9:12 am)Losty Wrote: Well I don't know exactly what movies you mean, but I am easily terrified so I'm sure I'd think they're scary.
Probably the "found footage" genre, which was popularized (if not started) by The Blair Witch Project. It's been done so many times in so many genres now that the flaws and cliches are what stand out more than anything. The Paranormal Activity franchise has used it through five or six films. I've seen the first four, and they quickly progress from a pretty good idea that is presented fairly effectively to a tired routine that you already saw in the previous films. The first three have an overarching narrative that becomes more interesting than anything that actually happens in the films. But the scares become predictable after awhile.

It's been particularly abused in the "film crew visits a haunted location to debunk ghost story" movies. Those in particular tend to overuse the trick where the camera is focused on a location where everything is normal, pans to one side to find nothing, then pans back to the original location and there is some ghost or creep just feet away. It's a variation on the ploy where a character gets a fake scare ("it was just the cat") and then turns around to find herself face-to-face with the demonic killer. It might make you jump, but after a while it is more annoying than scary, and pulls you right out of the viewing experience.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Messages In This Thread
RE: You know what really grinds my gears?: The moaning thread. - by Tonus - August 27, 2014 at 9:21 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday? BrianSoddingBoru4 3728 215089 18 minutes ago
Last Post: Foxaèr
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1131 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Did you know? Ryn 2 329 July 4, 2022 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: weaponoffreedom
  Things you buy and never really use Theswordismyleopard 28 1910 September 1, 2020 at 11:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Do I know you? Losty 16 1315 October 21, 2019 at 5:03 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  10 things you didn’t know about Star Wars robvalue 3 875 March 20, 2019 at 7:13 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  You can tell it' s REALLY cold out when - onlinebiker 13 1362 January 31, 2019 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Link us to your intro thread, first post and/or first thread Whateverist 35 4247 October 21, 2018 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Let me know how much I've upset you or you don't want me here. Foxaèr 34 6126 April 28, 2018 at 5:23 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  I know something you don't know... Jackalope 98 17777 April 22, 2018 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie