Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 19, 2024, 5:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists please stop "We will treat you better"
RE: Atheists please stop "We will treat you better"
I am on a mission to challenge people to scrap religion because it is not a good tool to view reality. But that is a matter of claims and evidence, not human rights. I do not like it however, when anyone gets stuck into thinking utopias exist and talk like that says they do not see they are falling into that same trap.

It is one thing to challenge absurd claims, but how future generations treat each other especially after we are gone is not a given. The only way to prevent the horrors of the past is to remember evolution really is a process and not a moral code and none of us are above that process.

(December 30, 2014 at 8:10 am)abaris Wrote:
(December 30, 2014 at 8:00 am)Brian37 Wrote: Yes I do rail against the magical claims and superstitions of religion. I do rail against all claims of immovable beings who are Orwellian in nature. But that is a matter of claims, not human rights. Atheists are still part of an imperfect reality and we cannot think ourselves that because we are on the right side of education and science, that we are always going to automatically be moral ourselves.

From my perspective, very few are doing this. I'm not a missionary going around to tell everyone about how great it would be to have no religion at all. In fact, my frm believe is, that once religion is gone, it would only be replaced by some other ideologies for people to rally behind. So I'm not for fighting religion to the death in hopes of creating a better world.

What I stand for is for religion to keep out of public life. A secular world where everyone should be free to live according to their own values without trying to shove them down everyone else's throats.

Um out of public life? In what context? I agree with fighting laws that are religious based, I also agree with keeping government neutral. But we certainly cannot stop people from building churches we can see from public roads that are on private property. We cannot stop them from making their claims in privately owned media such as TV, newspapers, internet and social media. Nor should we.

Secular also applies to us as well. "Atheist" does not mean we agree on economics. I know of Ayn Rand atheists I do not agree with, and I also know of Che supporter atheists I do not agree with.

Secular means neutral and that also applies the diversity in atheists as well. Secular means neutral, not playing favorites. Being on the right side of education and science does not mean the label "atheist" will automatically make the individual atheist moral either.

Messages In This Thread
Atheists please stop "We will treat you better" - by Brian37 - December 30, 2014 at 8:00 am
RE: Atheists please stop "We will treat you better" - by Brian37 - December 30, 2014 at 8:19 am
RE: Atheists please stop "We will treat you better" - by abaris - December 30, 2014 at 10:56 am
RE: Atheists please stop "We will treat you better" - by abaris - December 30, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Is bigger really better? onlinebiker 7 422 February 27, 2022 at 8:23 am
Last Post: brewer
  Fist bumping isn't better for germaphobes Foxaèr 17 2711 September 12, 2021 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Podcast recommendations please... arewethereyet 1 216 September 1, 2020 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Covers that are (in your opinion) better than the origionals Theswordismyleopard 15 793 August 30, 2020 at 7:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Covers that are (in your opinion) better than the origionals Theswordismyleopard 0 191 August 29, 2020 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Theswordismyleopard
  [Serious] How do you get over your past mistakes? [Please Don't judge me] GODZILLA 12 1182 June 3, 2019 at 12:48 pm
  A better gum thread onlinebiker 7 799 May 16, 2019 at 7:25 am
  Can you filthy foreigners please invite your friends? Losty 43 3078 May 1, 2019 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  somebody, Please Talk Sense into My Stupid Head. I Think I'm Getting Ready to Fuck Up Rhondazvous 30 2293 September 13, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Gentlebeings, a salute, please. Gawdzilla Sama 13 1285 July 31, 2018 at 7:40 am
Last Post: Brian37