Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 12:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Faith vs Belief
RE: Faith vs Belief
(June 10, 2015 at 3:05 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(May 23, 2015 at 12:39 pm)whateverist Wrote:

The first thing I would like to say about this is you've used one source, a source that suits you and not the reality of faith and belief. There are many other Christian thoughts on this subject that do not come from such a controversial source as the Catholic hierarchy. This hierarchy has never gotten over the Protestant movement that took control away from them and ruining the agenda of control of the people. It would be more relevant to use statements from other sources within the Christian church and more ethical, too.

Yes I chose this source because it suits the distinction I wish to make between "belief" and "faith".  I see the former as stubborn, egotistical clinging to that about which one has already made up his mind.  The latter is receptive and better fits our actual epistemic position.

I chose this quote because I didn't want to get to the Watts' quote until I would have more time for it, which I do now.  The Watts' quote is the best formulation for the way I see it, and my view comes from that book, The Wisdom of Insecurity, which I read some 40 years ago.

I don't have a dog in the fight between the catholic and protestant branches of the Christian faith.  I will try soon to find writers from other denominations as well as other religions.  But by all means, feel free to post any sources you wish if you'd like to argue for a different distinction between belief and faith.

(June 10, 2015 at 3:05 pm)Godschild Wrote: Now for what I've said on this forum many times and have never wavered on this knowledge. Faith is the beginning of the relationship with Christ, new Christians have little actual knowledge of God, so by faith from Him we come into an understanding of His purpose for us since the fall, the purpose of redemption for salvation by God's grace, then we either accept it or reject it. Now upon acceptance of this faith and the Son of God we are saved by our trust in this faith, the scriptures are very clear about this, from the teachings of Christ and the teachings of the disciples and Paul. No doubt has been left about this truth and so a truth has been sought and found through the gift of faith. I did alluded above that even those who do not believe received the gift of faith, they just rejected it or ignored it probably for a variety of reasons. Now the faith I'm referring to has to do with the unseen God of the Bible. You are speaking to the spiritual part of life aren't you? If so then this discussion should stay on this track. If this is not what you have intended, well I guess I'm wasting everyone's time.

Now to belief, belief comes to the Christian only if he/she wants to move forward in the relationship with Christ, yes one can stand still and still have salvation, but who wants to live on milk the rest of their life, I personally find meat enjoyable. To move forward one must study the scriptures, there is no other way, believe me I've tried them all and study is the only way to open up the mind and heart to have belief in who God is. Through the study God will reveal Himself in one's life, He will choose when and how, so the saying patience is a virtue is quite true. So faith leads to belief through the study of scripture and God's revelation to those who desire to grow in a greater relationship with Him. These are the Christians who can tell people about who God is through the experience of a relationship, those who live on faith ie. milk usually say thing that they have no idea if they are true or not and will follow a preacher instead of the teachings of the scriptures, this is sad but true for to many Christians.

Now to take this farther, knowledge, yes we can have knowledge of God, that is we can have certainty of His existence and who He is. The scriptures actually do teach this no matter what some may say, Paul teaches this over and over. Knowledge comes through a continued interest in the relationship with God. One can stop at faith or go on to belief or advance on to knowledge, I've experienced this personally and know it to be absolutely true. Those who would deny this either have no interest in God at all or are satisfied with their position with God. I find it strange that people who have faith wouldn't want to move forward and those who have belief wouldn't want a greater certainty in their relationship. So to end, knowledge is gained by continued scriptural study and revelation from God until one realizes they have come into a greater and certain knowledge of God. From here the sky is the limit, in other words there is no limit to knowing Him.

GC

This will sound to most people here, as it does to me, like the chestnut: just open yourself to faith and certainty will follow.  Somehow I think that only works if you want it to work.  That makes me immune.  I'm not shopping for an unsupported, super naturally based belief system to answer even questions which may make no sense.  But I welcome you to the thread.

If you have the time to read the book, I can't help but wonder what if any impact it would have on what you think.  (Probably none?)

Messages In This Thread
Faith vs Belief - by Whateverist - May 23, 2015 at 12:39 pm
RE: Faith vs Belief - by KevinM1 - May 23, 2015 at 12:50 pm
RE: Faith vs Belief - by Whateverist - May 23, 2015 at 12:56 pm
RE: Faith vs Belief - by Whateverist - May 24, 2015 at 9:04 am
RE: Faith vs Belief - by KevinM1 - May 24, 2015 at 12:34 pm
RE: Faith vs Belief - by Whateverist - May 24, 2015 at 1:14 pm
RE: Faith vs Belief - by robvalue - May 24, 2015 at 9:25 am
RE: Faith vs Belief - by robvalue - May 24, 2015 at 1:30 pm
RE: Faith vs Belief - by Whateverist - May 24, 2015 at 1:33 pm
RE: Faith vs Belief - by robvalue - May 24, 2015 at 1:35 pm
RE: Faith vs Belief - by dyresand - May 24, 2015 at 2:06 pm
RE: Faith vs Belief - by Whateverist - May 24, 2015 at 2:34 pm
RE: Faith vs Belief - by dyresand - May 24, 2015 at 5:58 pm
RE: Faith vs Belief - by Anima - May 24, 2015 at 3:08 pm
RE: Faith vs Belief - by Whateverist - May 24, 2015 at 7:15 pm
RE: Faith vs Belief - by Whateverist - June 5, 2015 at 12:18 am
RE: Faith vs Belief - by ignoramus - June 5, 2015 at 4:51 am
RE: Faith vs Belief - by robvalue - June 5, 2015 at 7:15 am
RE: Faith vs Belief - by Whateverist - June 5, 2015 at 10:50 am
RE: Faith vs Belief - by robvalue - June 5, 2015 at 12:00 pm
RE: Faith vs Belief - by Whateverist - June 5, 2015 at 7:29 pm
RE: Faith vs Belief - by Whateverist - June 7, 2015 at 1:03 pm
RE: Faith vs Belief - by comet - June 9, 2015 at 7:16 am
RE: Faith vs Belief - by Godschild - June 10, 2015 at 3:05 pm
RE: Faith vs Belief - by Whateverist - June 10, 2015 at 6:35 pm
RE: Faith vs Belief - by comet - June 10, 2015 at 7:57 pm
RE: Faith vs Belief - by Whateverist - June 11, 2015 at 11:33 am
RE: Faith vs Belief - by Godschild - June 11, 2015 at 1:00 pm
RE: Faith vs Belief - by Whateverist - June 11, 2015 at 3:36 pm
RE: Faith vs Belief - by Godschild - June 12, 2015 at 5:42 pm
RE: Faith vs Belief - by Whateverist - June 12, 2015 at 5:57 pm
RE: Faith vs Belief - by comet - June 12, 2015 at 3:58 pm
RE: Faith vs Belief - by Whateverist - June 12, 2015 at 4:35 pm
RE: Faith vs Belief - by comet - June 13, 2015 at 7:54 am
RE: Faith vs Belief - by Whateverist - June 13, 2015 at 9:30 am
RE: Faith vs Belief - by comet - June 16, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3949 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Sexual Satisfaction Correlated with Religious Belief Neo-Scholastic 38 3458 September 10, 2022 at 4:35 am
Last Post: Niblo
  Belief in white Jesus linked to racism Foxaèr 91 6620 January 1, 2022 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1278 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Do you think Scientology sells anyone on its belief? Sweden83 19 1809 December 25, 2020 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 985 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 11540 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Atheist who is having a crisis of faith emilsein 204 13435 April 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  The Dunning-Kruger Effect and Religious Belief AFTT47 18 4238 March 11, 2019 at 7:19 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  When is a Religious Belief Delusional? Neo-Scholastic 266 26794 September 12, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Angrboda