Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 21, 2024, 6:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to debunk the first cause argument without trying too hard
RE: How to debunk the first cause argument without trying too hard
(September 14, 2015 at 6:32 am)strawberryBacteria Wrote:
(September 13, 2015 at 11:08 pm)Ronkonkoma Wrote: Thanks for your kind words. I forgive you. I forgive. Can you say that? 

I wasn't arguing at all. I just wanted to load a story off my shoulders. Have you ever felt like that? Has anybody ever not listened to you when you felt that way?

What RocketSurgeon said, I wasn't specifically referring to you in my previous post on this thread.
Oh. Sorry.

(September 14, 2015 at 2:53 am)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: Don't think SB meant you specifically, RonKon.

But ... you know, now that you mention it.... I AM going to start saying "I forgive you" to the Christians with whom I must constantly argue.

I forgive them for misquoting scientists I respect and butchering the actual teachings of science in order to build strawman arguments about science so they can go on telling me I'm  the idiot for not accepting their magical fairytale version of the world.

I forgive them for spending time and effort misrepresenting atheists as immoral, amoral, and/or evil... especially when they compare us to horrible dictators like Stalin. That one takes a lot of forgiveness.

I forgive them for trying to legislate their religious doctrines into law, for trying to infiltrate school boards and courts of law and administrative offices through which they can impose their religion onto those who do not wish it.

I forgive them for trying to suggest that my Beloved not marry me, because I'm a nonbeliever, and for trying to tell me that they would interfere if I refused to teach my son the bigotry of Christianity, with regards to homosexuals and other religions.

I forgive them for using manipulative and deceptive tactics, with big, pretty graphs and charts, with their version of "teach the controversy" and relabeling Creationism into "intelligent design", which wastes the time of professors and scientists everywhere trying to keep America from falling completely into scientific illiteracy, with these Creationists willfully going around and Lying For Jesus™ in an attempt to convince people that science doesn't really know what it's talking about.

I forgive them for trying to be the bully about everything, by arrogantly proclaiming the most insane, untestable (or if testable, provably wrong) things as TheTruth™, as though force of personality/confidence could make things TheTruth™, and then when the atheists call them out on these basic facts, they turn around and either pretend THEY are the ones under attack (the Martyr Card), or they try to say that we are the arrogant ones for trying to use our "human brains with Man's Knowledge" (verbatim, what I have been told on numerous occasions).

I forgive them for the subjugation of women, for the psychological torment they have inflicted upon millions through the guilt game, and for targeting children and emotionally-distraught people, who do not have the skeptical defenses in place to call BS on the religion's insidious teachings, which wind their way into the mind and destroy the self-protective, skeptical parts of the brain, teaching people not to question too deeply, or teaching them to reject the questioner of that faith-tradition.

I forgive them for setting my planet back, technologically, by at least 1000 years (known as the Dark Ages), since I could be typing this from a colony on Kepler-186f, perhaps, had the flowering Greek and Persian traditions of rational thinking been crushed by the rise of theocratic feudalism.

Thank you for that. I can say that I forgive. I do forgive, and I try to forge friendships with people who still embrace such philosophies, after all the knowledge we have gained, after all the progress we have made in the REBIRTH (Re-Naissance) of reason, in the Enlightenment of mankind, after that long darkness imposed by religion on western civilization... I do forgive those who try to push us backward in time, or who cling desperately to the present against any progress, in the name of "faith". Yes, I can say it: I forgive you.

I forgive you. But I do not forget.

[/ loadoffshoulders ]
I didn't mean to say you can't forgive, it's just a matter of practice. I forgive. The wise parrot always holds one eye shut.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to debunk the first cause argument without trying too hard - by Ronkonkoma - September 14, 2015 at 11:29 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mike Litorus owns god without any verses no one 3 430 July 9, 2023 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Morality without God Superjock 102 9347 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Christian missionary becomes atheist after trying to convert tribe EgoDeath 40 5078 November 19, 2019 at 2:07 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too TaraJo 53 24885 October 9, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 4039 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" Bahana 220 22964 October 8, 2018 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Me too Foxaèr 6 1320 October 7, 2018 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: outtathereligioncloset
  Too many near death experiences purplepurpose 77 17530 November 13, 2017 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Can someone debunk this FPerson 162 33608 November 12, 2017 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Sometimes it's hard for me to shut up about my atheism Der/die AtheistIn 23 5343 August 15, 2017 at 5:18 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn