Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 9, 2024, 11:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you persuade me from Agnostic to Atheist?
RE: Can you persuade me from Agnostic to Atheist?
OK, most dictionaries seem to use the same definition of God below:

1(In Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.

2 (god) (In certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshipped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity: a moon god the Hindu god Vishnu

Rob, anyone? Here is exactly what God is!

Option 1 can be easily dismissed since what we can read of it is so contradictory and paradoxical, and judging by the amount of times it has shown itself to anyone, can be safely dismissed as complete fiction ... It cannot exist as described.

Option 2 "superhuman being" may have had as chance at existing but again, why is being worshipped a prerequisite to be a god? Why must they have favour over human fortunes? So many squillions of planets, and they going to worry about finding our car keys? Nup!

There you go folks ...2 main definitions for the word God and god. Both as unrealistic and ridiculous as each other.

So basically, if I want to explore our possible creator as:
: the alien who had a picnic on earth and wiped his boots on a rock before he left or
: an advanced species who intentionally put us here or even altered primate dna to create a hybrid

then I basically cannot use the term God or god. It's not what it means.
God, as far as theists are concerned can only refer to the skydaddy.

So, now I'm not ignostic anymore. I know what God is. I now know our creator didn't give us our morals and I know he's not intervening in human affairs. 
So guys, is it really arrogant to say we know those only 2 options cannot exist? Why can't we be gnostic atheists?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can you persuade me from Agnostic to Atheist? - by ignoramus - May 20, 2016 at 6:42 am
Can you persuade me from Agnostic to Atheist? - by KUSA - May 20, 2016 at 10:38 am
Can you persuade me from Agnostic to Atheist? - by KUSA - May 20, 2016 at 10:42 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An atheist can blaspheme god Interaktive 8 1148 December 30, 2022 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Lek
  IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? Dragonfly 222 28057 December 18, 2018 at 1:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question from an agnostic chrisNub 41 9472 March 30, 2018 at 7:28 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My brother who used to be a devout Muslim is now agnostic Lebneni Murtad 4 1394 March 21, 2017 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 9758 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Atheists unite and help persuade Ambiguous Atheist 14 2714 December 2, 2016 at 3:01 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  What is the right definition of agnostic? Red_Wind 27 6047 November 7, 2016 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7100 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Well, I just can't change that I'm Agnostic... LivingNumbers6.626 15 3082 July 6, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Everyone is Agnostic z7z 16 3422 June 26, 2016 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Whateverist