Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 19, 2024, 6:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life)
RE: How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life)
(August 27, 2016 at 12:38 pm)bennyboy Wrote: You are making what is called an "intentional fallacy."  This is a fallacy in which you assume the intent of ideas whose intent you cannot know.  What you are doing is taking neat science stuff, and drawing lines to neat mythology stuff with some similar words or ideas, and then projecting modern knowledge onto those early story tellers.  This is not a good basis for building a sensible world view.

May I ask you if you use drugs, or if you are schizophrenic?  The way you associate ideas seems creative, intelligent, and a little irrational in the same way that that of LSD/mushroom users and schizophrenic people I've met in the past is.
No but I am a left handed, green eyed only child who's had a lot of time alone to contemplate things. Now as a father and adult, my profession for 16 years has been Arbory specifically climbing, rigging, and trimming. I spend a lot of time alone, in the tops of trees, contemplating things. I navigate a supra-symmetric (branches similar to roots) fractal inversion (leafs interact on the macro scale, roots tips on the micro) that combines space permeating light with mineral laden water to create living tissue and they tend towards immortality.

My job (besides not dieing) is to correctly imagine the 3d branching structure from the outside (as the client sees it) while I am confined to the inside of the structure. I also must see the simplified "final form" of the tree inside all the "noise" of branches that I'm eventually going cut off and I must do that in a cascading order of revealed space or else top branches pile on bottom branches and I build a several thousand pound bird's nest. Logistics of order is extremely important and I can easily triple the amount of time a job takes (losing money) if I get it wrong.

There are no hard numbers to calculate, there are few measurements that can be made or are even practical to make. (Perhaps heights and width of tree vs houses in the drop zone if felled from base). All of it is a honed intuitive calculation, a projection of my body as the mass of the entire tree/limb, then cutting off part of myself that weighs hundreds to thousands of pounds at a fixed length, at a fixed rotational speed in relation to the distance to the ground. Depending where I cut, a 30ft spar could land perfectly flat, or land on end either replanting itself in the ground or falling in an uncontrolled direction. Sometimes peoples houses and property depend on me getting that exactly right.

Now for the "not dieing" part. In order to climb safely I have to correctly intuitively equate a number variables, mainly: The strength/integrity/balance of my body, the constant of gravity, the decreasing integrity of the wood as I climb higher and the increasing influence of the variable wind. Where-ever I go in the tree, I am creating tetrahedrons with my body; 3 points of lower contact supporting a 4 balanced point above them, even if 2 points are controlled by one foot. I do this as a simultaneous moment to moment calculation. Everything is curved in a tree and I am the only thing making straight lines, with my equipment and my mind making many imaginary cut/equations in rapid fire until I feel the correct one, given all the other forces in action I am paying direct and full attention to.

I preform physics, lots and lots of physics, daily...for hours at a time.

They say to a carpenter, ever problem looks like a nail. To me, everything "looks" like a tree. I see people as trees walking with roots of influences hidden under the surface of the past and branches of potential reaching forwards in time. I see current cultures/religions as trees in an orchard gone feral, trees with crossing branches, fighting for space and light, bearing all manner of hybrid fruit some good some bad and some thorny trees with poisonous fruit have been intentionally planted. I see the universe like a tree with all phenomena linked and stacked in order and co-operative process, the macro is not separate from the micro.

The tree is a ubiquitous ancient cultural symbol of Life, Knowledge, and the Universe. Odin hung upon Yggdrasil, the cosmic tree to gain the knowledge of the runes. Buddha sat under a tree to gain enlightenment. Jesus was "hung across a tree". The tree symbolized the link between our world and the spirit world, as a bridge or ladder.

I have climbed them since a boy, and I have spent many thousands of hours professionally working in them and with them. So if a surfer can offer science some insight on string theory http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cros...-academia/ , perhaps an arborist can offer some insight on on the branching structure of the universe, hidden above and below the human level of experience.

I don't need drugs to think/see/understand these things. I have practice, lots and lots of practice.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-27299017

Cosmic tree
In the beginning, it shows strands of mysterious material which cosmologists call "dark matter" sprawling across the emptiness of space like branches of a cosmic tree. As millions of years pass by, the dark matter clumps and concentrates to form seeds for the first galaxies. Then emerges the non-dark matter, the stuff that will in time go on to make stars, planets and life emerge.
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder

Messages In This Thread
RE: How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) - by Arkilogue - August 27, 2016 at 5:30 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on how to deal with xenophobia? Macoleco 15 1363 November 28, 2022 at 7:06 am
Last Post: Macoleco
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4145 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  what is a healthy way to deal with uncertainty? Jextin 12 4447 April 20, 2013 at 9:21 pm
Last Post: Faith No More