Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 12:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What philosophical evidence is there against believing in non-physical entities?
RE: What philosophical evidence is there against believing in non-physical entities?
(August 31, 2016 at 8:47 pm)Panatheist Wrote: Well, again, there is no way to prove it to anyone.
Yes, there is, you referenced it yourself, in that altered states have been recorded.  There's no way for -you- to do so because you are referring to anecdotes.  You did not have any equipment available.  As such I can't know that they -were- altered states in the sense you previously referenced, and neither can you.  

Quote:But literally having the sensation of my environment disappearing and being replaced with an entirely different one on an island is always going to count as altered perception to me, not a mere misinterpretation or whatever.  It's not even similar to you thinking you heard a bump in the closet.
How could you know that, you didn't have any equipment present....you don't know the lucidity of my daydreams...and you can;t even establish that this was a genuine experience rather than a cognitive blip related to memory that you now relate to us.

Quote:Much of my background and experience is similar to that of those who report symptoms of dissasociation which I have been treated for although I do not know if all or only some experiences are trauma-related.  Some certainly seem to have been.  Others, perhaps not.  Who knows?  Now someone may infer differently, sure, particularly since I am anonymous here - not that I will typically discuss such things when I'm not.
I've had a disassociative break.  I've been diagnosed.  See..I do have experience with "experiences of this kind" - I;m not dismissing you out of hand, you're simply not presenting anything that we can work with.

Quote:But it is really not as important on a personal level.  I do think what research is being done on all sorts of reported experiences usually associated with the paranormal is important for skeptics.  It certainly has helped me understand problems with basing supernatural beliefs on subjective experiences.
There's also a problem in basing "natural beliefs" on anecdotal references to potential subjective experiences or memories of experiences. Such as the belief that you were in an altered state.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: What philosophical evidence is there against believing in non-physical entities? - by The Grand Nudger - August 31, 2016 at 9:10 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the fact that many non-human animals have pituitary disprove Cartesian Dualism? FlatAssembler 36 2220 June 23, 2023 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Metaethics Part 1: Cognitivism/Non-cognitivism Disagreeable 24 1585 February 11, 2022 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Video thread for interesting philosophical discussions on YouTube and elsewhere GrandizerII 2 315 August 26, 2020 at 8:43 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  In Defense of a Non-Natural Moral Order Acrobat 84 7328 August 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
Video Neurosurgeon Provides Evidence Against Materialism Guard of Guardians 41 4436 June 17, 2019 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12223 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Philosophical zombies robvalue 131 16213 March 7, 2018 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  A Philosophical Conundrum BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1756 October 27, 2017 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Testimony is Evidence RoadRunner79 588 118622 September 13, 2017 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Non-existing objects KerimF 81 22033 June 28, 2017 at 2:34 am
Last Post: KerimF