Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 18, 2024, 9:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Implicit Bias and You. And Me. And Everyone..
RE: Implicit Bias and You. And Me. And Everyone..
Agreed Irrational.

@Rhythm, yes of course someone could game the system. A sociopath can sometimes fool a psychiatrist face to face. Should we dismiss the results of all psychological tests because they CAN be gamed, or because they are occasionally off? Again, it's not a hard science, it isn't like mixing chemical x with chemical y produces compound z. We are still learning how to make better tests like this, we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Often, psychological tests rely on people doing their honest best. So if you are honest and not trying to game it, then I think the test is fairly reliable. It may be off a bit one way or the other, but if you do your best and are NOT trying to game it, it won't, for instance, show you have no bias when you have a very strong bias.

But anyway, this is still sidestepping the main issue, which is how to avoid passing on biases like this to our kids, and how to help eliminate them in ourselves. I realize, for instance, I tell my daughter she is pretty all the time, when I probably should probably instead tell her shes capable or smart instead when I feel like boosting her confidence.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Messages In This Thread
Implicit Bias and You. And Me. And Everyone.. - by Aroura - October 11, 2016 at 2:35 pm
RE: Implicit Bias and You. And Me. And Everyone.. - by Aegon - October 11, 2016 at 3:40 pm
RE: Implicit Bias and You. And Me. And Everyone.. - by Aroura - October 11, 2016 at 10:46 pm
RE: Implicit Bias and You. And Me. And Everyone.. - by Aroura - October 12, 2016 at 10:31 am
RE: Implicit Bias and You. And Me. And Everyone.. - by Aroura - October 12, 2016 at 11:26 am
RE: Implicit Bias and You. And Me. And Everyone.. - by henryp - October 12, 2016 at 11:52 am
RE: Implicit Bias and You. And Me. And Everyone.. - by Aroura - October 12, 2016 at 12:01 pm
RE: Implicit Bias and You. And Me. And Everyone.. - by Aroura - October 12, 2016 at 12:06 pm
RE: Implicit Bias and You. And Me. And Everyone.. - by Aroura - October 12, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Physicists show bias against female job applicants Tino 18 6348 October 29, 2012 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: jonb