Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 12:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First 45 (or track) and LP (or CD) you bought
RE: First 45 (or track) and LP (or CD) you bought
(October 26, 2016 at 10:06 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: 1976, ELO, A New World Record. I was eleven, and skateboarding in a park in Teheran when the single from that album came through the speakers. I damned-near wrecked -- the guitar just sounded amazing. As I wrote another time:

Quote:It wasn’t long after that that the same DJ, Ted Hawkins, played the song that was to change my life forever: “Do Ya” by the Electric Light Orchestra.  In those days before Walkmans®, we carried our music around on what came to be called “ghetto blasters” or just “blasters”; and I was doing so one day in the park with our huge Sony, grinding my skateboard on the stair-rails when I heard this incredible sound pouring out of my speakers.  I immediately stopped my riding, in fact, I almost fell, and I gave the radio the attention it commanded.  The sound was unaccompanied electric guitar, three simple chords, and to this day it sends chills down my spine.  It sounded like a thousand sheets of paper being ripped, in tune, like the fabric of the world itself being torn apart, this guitar did, punctuated by dead silence.  It was the sound of my ears being yanked open.  

That afternoon I made up my mind that I was going to take up guitar.  I had to make that sound.

Loved ELO which came out when I was skateboarding around San Francisco, driving around in an old bread delivery truck and smoking out of a PVC bong I made myself.  I wore hokey elbow pads, knee pads, leather gloves, football helmet and -weather permitting- a denim jacket.  Bought the first album of course.

Messages In This Thread
RE: First 45 (or track) and LP (or CD) you bought - by Whateverist - October 26, 2016 at 10:18 pm
RE: First 45 (or track) and LP (or CD) you bought - by brewer - October 26, 2016 at 10:07 pm
RE: First 45 (or track) and LP (or CD) you bought - by c172 - October 26, 2016 at 10:39 pm
RE: First 45 (or track) and LP (or CD) you bought - by chimp3 - October 26, 2016 at 11:13 pm
RE: First 45 (or track) and LP (or CD) you bought - by GUBU - October 27, 2016 at 11:44 am
RE: First 45 (or track) and LP (or CD) you bought - by GUBU - October 27, 2016 at 1:13 pm
RE: First 45 (or track) and LP (or CD) you bought - by GUBU - October 27, 2016 at 3:32 pm
RE: First 45 (or track) and LP (or CD) you bought - by Athene - October 27, 2016 at 11:52 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the first song or piece of music you can remember hearing on the radio (or)? Whateverist 78 11060 October 27, 2016 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Orbital Belfast/Wasted, rare track. Edwardo Piet 1 1822 April 30, 2009 at 9:18 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  1 track from each Orbital album: Edwardo Piet 0 1260 December 18, 2008 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet