Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask a rock climber
RE: Ask a rock climber
(December 19, 2016 at 12:57 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: If you live in a car or tent, how do you get showers? Brush your teeth? Take a dump?

Well I live in an RV which has all of that stuff so it's not really an issue. However if I'm backpacking or when I lived in a truck I guess it was an issue, but not really as much as you'd think Brushing your teeth is easy, I mean even if you are living out of a backpack you can brush your teeth. It's funny how people get so accustomed to brushing their teeth in a bathroom that they think somehow it is necessary or something, all you really need is a toothbrush and paste. Most climbing campgrounds  have bathrooms, it's rarely an issue. You have to remember that we (because there are thousands of people with this lifestyle) aren't living in cities nor really in the wilderness, but mostly in campgrounds that are almost always filled with other rock climbers. Some of them are really nice and have showers and stuff and some are primitive camping. If an area is primitive camping you just dig and build your own toilet, it's not that hard really so it's never been an issue.

Showering is probably the most difficult (pre-RV life) and it's not a straight forward answer either because it varies place to place. Some places have showers in a campground and some places there is nothing. So sometimes you just take a shower in camp to bath in a river. It's all probably easier the you think.

(December 19, 2016 at 12:49 am)paulpablo Wrote: What's your opinion on how people like mustang wanted from ukrain or James Kingston from the UK?

I had to google who those guys were. I'd say my first impression is under whelmed. It's really not super athletically impressive what they are doing, it just looks impressive to people who are afraid of heights. It's almost like a trick, they are doing something pretty easy and making it look difficult. When you think about what they are doing physically, it's just climbing a ladder and doing minor athletic feats at heights. Climbing a crane isn't very difficult, if a rock climb had those sort of holds, it would be a beginner level climb. I'd say most professional climbers can do exactly what they are doing and many non-professionals as well. Other then the hand stands and some of the rail walking I could probably do everything that those guys do. It looks impressive but compared to Alex Honnold or some of the great free solo rock climbers, it's not really at all. I'd say there are thousands of people who can do what those guys do, and a tiny tiny handful of people who can free solo (climb with out a rope) at a really high level. Alex Honnold is the greatest free soloist of all time, and some of the things he's done are really unique to him and him alone.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Ask a rock climber - by CapnAwesome - December 18, 2016 at 2:18 pm
RE: Ask a rock climber - by Minimalist - December 18, 2016 at 2:24 pm
RE: Ask a rock climber - by CapnAwesome - December 18, 2016 at 3:30 pm
RE: Ask a rock climber - by c172 - December 18, 2016 at 4:11 pm
RE: Ask a rock climber - by CapnAwesome - December 19, 2016 at 12:39 am
RE: Ask a rock climber - by brewer - December 18, 2016 at 4:18 pm
RE: Ask a rock climber - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - December 18, 2016 at 4:23 pm
RE: Ask a rock climber - by Catholic_Lady - December 18, 2016 at 5:31 pm
RE: Ask a rock climber - by account_inactive - December 18, 2016 at 5:39 pm
RE: Ask a rock climber - by Catholic_Lady - December 18, 2016 at 5:42 pm