Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hardly Anyone Remembers How to do Fractions
RE: Hardly Anyone Remembers How to do Fractions
(January 15, 2017 at 4:06 am)Firefighter01 Wrote: I own a business where employees need to now how to work out fractions and long multiplication to do their job efficiently. Here are my questions that I placed in their interview exam to determine if they know basic maths: 
1. 1/4 + 1/3 =
2. 1/4 x 1/3 =
3. 132 x 64 =

Only about 3 applicants over dozens that have sat the exam have answered all questions correctly. Most of them got the last one right, but they used their mobile phones.  I originally thought that the questions were too easy, but apparently they are now redundant? I don't know why teachers today don't teach fractions so that their students are competent in their usage, or is it a case that they aren't considered important enough to warrant any special attention?

Where these young people just out of school, or older people, who may have forgot from lack of use? Just curious. I would think that those just out of school should remember enough to at least attempt it. Someone who hasn't done these things in ten years, I have a little more understanding.

Also, curious what type of job this was? Perhaps if you our having difficulty, you could test for the necessary aptitude, to do the problems, and those who could relatively quickly be shon how to do the problems.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hardly Anyone Remembers How to do Fractions - by Chad32 - January 15, 2017 at 8:55 am
RE: Hardly Anyone Remembers How to do Fractions - by Tiberius - January 16, 2017 at 12:28 am
RE: Hardly Anyone Remembers How to do Fractions - by Alex K - January 15, 2017 at 10:54 am
RE: Hardly Anyone Remembers How to do Fractions - by RoadRunner79 - January 15, 2017 at 2:21 pm
RE: Hardly Anyone Remembers How to do Fractions - by Cyberman - January 16, 2017 at 12:52 am
RE: Hardly Anyone Remembers How to do Fractions - by Alex K - January 16, 2017 at 8:12 am
RE: Hardly Anyone Remembers How to do Fractions - by Fireball - January 16, 2017 at 12:00 pm
RE: Hardly Anyone Remembers How to do Fractions - by Cyberman - January 16, 2017 at 12:29 pm
RE: Hardly Anyone Remembers How to do Fractions - by Rev. Rye - January 17, 2017 at 12:39 am
RE: Hardly Anyone Remembers How to do Fractions - by Alex K - January 17, 2017 at 4:03 pm