Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 17, 2024, 1:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New roots
RE: New roots
You just don't get it do you.

thesummerqueen Wrote:
ib.me.ub Wrote:
Wikipedia Wrote:by the University of Leeds, shows tropical forests absorb about 18% of all carbon dioxide added by fossil fuels.[17]

I said environmentalists - of the tree-hugging, drum-beating sort, I should have specified. I wish I could find the article that stated that scientists had done a study that suggested their numbers might not have been what they thought, but quite frankly I'm tired and you're going to have to wait until I've had a shower and coffee before I continue my earch.

This is from the University of Leeds, not the so called tree huggers.

thesummerqueen Wrote:
ib.me.ub Wrote:Well, I don't know much about GM crops, but I am for the Rainforests. I don't support any crops, GM or not, that are going to destroy the Natural Eco-Systems of the World.

That's just your opinion against humanity in general. The fact is we're here - and more efficient use of the exisiting developed land, as well as making use of less viable lands through crops developed to grow in them, is the only way to feed starving nations.

Don't you get it. No Eco-System = No Humanity. Without the biosphere there will be no goddam humanity.

thesummerqueen Wrote:
ib.me.ub Wrote:It will, but do you really think this will ever happen in reality. As if the food produced goes to the correct place.

The crops do - people like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug try their best to help out. Unfortunately, he recently passed away, and he has to fight against this: http://www.greenpeace.org/international/...-our-rice/

A very small proportion of the Worlds food goes to countries that really need it. Also, GreenPeace and other NGO's help with feeding the World's poor.

thesummerqueen Wrote:
GreenPeace Wrote:Genetic Engineering does not feed the world. 99.5 percent of farmers around the world do not grow Genetically Engineered crops.

Of course - because much of the world is still undereducated and easy to scare with sciencey sounding talk that isn't science.

It has more to with Economics, not education. >
Quote:Ten corporations control nearly 70 percent of the world's seed market. This corporate control of agriculture means farmers have less choice.

thesummerqueen Wrote:
ib.me.ub Wrote:The problem is too many people, the polution they produce, and the resources they use.

We have a problem: over burdened resources. Solution: modified crops that require less fertilizer (less polution on one level) and better yield (less burden on resources. Trying to see how this is less viable than letting people just starve to death, which I suppose would take care of everything but is cruel as only a well-fed, smug white elitist asshole can be. I've been hungry - and that was only the "I have one top ramen packet for the entire day" hungry. Not "I only have one for two days, or a week...or indefinitely" This is not America we're talking about, with food stamps and shit or even the western world with its beautiful climates made for an assortment of crops that could be grown in back yards. This is mostly the third world, where there are shitty climates with a need for drought or disease resistant strains of crops that could be produced faster and more powerfully in a laboratory than by some 'organic' method of breeding and waiting while people die.

Then you get more people, who use more resources and the problem never ends. More food=More People=More Growth=More Food......where does it end.

thesummerqueen Wrote:Patents are put on just about anything, including the tools people use when they garden - the seeds wouldn't be much different. One still has to pay the price for the patent included in the price of the shovel when you need to dig. You'll have to do the same for seeds. Introduce an economy where having the lowest price outside of that gains you the most customers, and no one will have an issue. But again, most of these people have a hatred of globalization and government.

Good luck telling that to the Corporations that control the World's food supply.

thesummerqueen Wrote:There are people who are trying as best they can to save humans and the planet alike, but claiming that we can only do it by not touching the environment at all is bullshit.

Well the problem is, the Planet is coming second at the moment. The problem with that is, in the long term, without a healthy planet there will be no people to save.

Messages In This Thread
New roots - by thesummerqueen - November 19, 2010 at 5:20 pm
RE: New roots - by Shinylight - November 19, 2010 at 5:36 pm
RE: New roots - by thesummerqueen - November 19, 2010 at 5:44 pm
RE: New roots - by ib.me.ub - November 19, 2010 at 9:12 pm
RE: New roots - by Anomalocaris - November 19, 2010 at 10:46 pm
RE: New roots - by Zen Badger - November 20, 2010 at 2:58 am
RE: New roots - by ib.me.ub - November 21, 2010 at 5:48 am
RE: New roots - by thesummerqueen - November 21, 2010 at 6:04 am
RE: New roots - by ib.me.ub - November 21, 2010 at 7:26 am
RE: New roots - by Shinylight - November 21, 2010 at 7:42 am
RE: New roots - by thesummerqueen - November 21, 2010 at 8:43 am