Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 6, 2024, 11:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Just When You Thought Arizona Couldn't Get Stupider...
RE: Just When You Thought Arizona Couldn't Get Stupider...
(April 17, 2011 at 12:45 am)Zen Badger Wrote:
(April 14, 2011 at 4:28 pm)Cinjin Cain Wrote: we like knowing that we can personally protect our land from an invading army just by banding together with our neighbors,

I love it when this little gem comes up in gun control debates(as it invariably does)

And yes, I can see where a disorganised bunch of amateur John Wayne wannabes armed with pistols and hunting rifles would be able to defeat a professional army equipped with artillery, tanks, aircraft, helicopters and all of the other paraphernalia that is designed to turn you into strawberry jam........

common Zen, first of all, the point you're "picking on" was not remotely at the heart of my point.
Secondly, I think any army would at least consider the fact that the army they are fighting has an additional 100 million armed civilians on their home front. And as for the John Wayne remark - I would remind you that it was nothing but farmers and pig ranchers that fought the war for our independance and won ... not a well-trained army.
And again none of that even matters because that was just a small random point about why Americans want to keep their right to bear arms. Why not mention the other points? And do you want the American people to lose yet another right? What's so wrong with the right to own a gun? I own several - I have no wish to shoot anyone - ever. Why shouldn't I be allowed to own a gun?

Here is the whole post I made ... in case someone reading this doesn't know what we're referring to.

Quote:Yes, the US is far from perfect, and yes we still have a lot of crazies walking around with dark thoughts and violent ideas. That does not change the fact that most of us are ordinary people who want to protect our rights. Rights that most of the world don't have. And one of those rights is the Right to Bear Arms. If your country does not allow you this right and you're fine with that - than thats great for you, but that doesn't work for us. We like hunting, we like sport shooting, we like knowing that we can personally protect our land from an invading army just by banding together with our neighbors, and we like knowing that we can protect our families in their beds with deadly force. WE LIKE being American and MOST of us will not apologize for that. You don't want guns. Fine. We do and just for the record - the people you see killing other people on TV by means of a firearm - well, most of those dangerous people are using firearms illegally anyway and gun laws would never have saved us from them ..... just like anti-theft laws in Europe won't save you from thieves. People are assholes and they will take ANYTHING, including a gun, and turn it into something they can control others with.

Zen, although I clearly disagree with you, I still respect your right to lobby against me. That's America. Admittedly, I do hope you don't succeed at helping to take yet another right of mine away.

[Image: Evolution.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Just When You Thought Arizona Couldn't Get Stupider... - by Cinjin - April 17, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you think all these GOP senators get in return for brown nosing Trump? A Godzilla fan 15 1675 September 30, 2019 at 11:52 am
Last Post: A Godzilla fan
  I'm starting to just get exhausted of this adminstration what about you? GODZILLA 34 3336 December 8, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Just when I thought that Donald Trump could not get any dumber... Jehanne 16 2200 November 27, 2018 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: YahwehIsTheWay
  How Crazy Is Arizona? Minimalist 19 1847 November 13, 2018 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  It's Just One Vote and It's Just One Carbon Footprint Duty 16 1051 October 26, 2018 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  That's odd...I thought we were a nation of laws? GODZILLA 24 4959 June 25, 2018 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Just Don't Get Sick! Minimalist 6 857 June 19, 2018 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight Minimalist 0 336 June 5, 2018 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  This Is The Kind Of Dumb Shit We Get Running in Arizona Minimalist 7 1228 May 20, 2018 at 8:15 am
Last Post: brewer
  Dear Texass, This Is What You Get For Not Regulating Corporations Minimalist 16 1963 March 16, 2018 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger