Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 19, 2024, 6:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Qualia Soup "Putting Faith In Its Place"
RE: Qualia Soup "Putting Faith In Its Place"
Peace...

Quote:Replace the cube analogy with say, my clenched fist and I ask you "What am I holding in my hand?", without any evidence you have no basis to assert anything, be it a shiny coin, or nothing at all, but you may infer logic to remove what is impossible for me to be carrying, for example it is impossible for the fictional monster Godzilla to be in my hand hidden from your view.

I completely get the analogy, the cube, the fist..yeah I get it...Without having evidence there is no point at which to reasonbly begin guessing. Got it...

Now..Let say we stick with your clenched fist and we begin reducing the possibilities by everythingelse in the world, and then the solar system, and then the galaxy, and then the cluster of galaxies, and then we say everything in the universe except your clinced fist and lets say Eli Manning's Superbowl ring..Thats it..Now what is in your clinched fist?

Quote:Why a who? Why do you ask "Who" created the process by which reality can come to be and not "What".

Okay..."What"..doesn't change much, but okay..

Quote:You are missing the point of the experiment, wooden spoons, ants or eggs are not logically impossible, they manifest in reality, they actually do exist, we gave them labels and definitions. You have no basis to remove these logically possible items from the list of what might be inside the cube without evidence first.

You are missing the point...lets say the question was asked about the cube at .00001 seconds after the rupture of the Singularity...It would very unreasonable to say that a spoon or egg or anything of the would be in the box. The question we are trying to figure out is what is in the box where nothing created existed? The only reasonalbe choice would be to place in the box the only reality which would not have resulted by the material creation of the Universe..like beauty, meaning, et al...The only problem would be the argument that all of these things exist because of materiality...We can have these discussions, however we have to get to this point first.

Whirling Moat

Messages In This Thread
RE: Qualia Soup "Putting Faith In Its Place" - by Darth - May 23, 2011 at 11:53 am
RE: Qualia Soup "Putting Faith In Its Place" - by Whirling Moat - May 26, 2011 at 10:00 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Faith Media: Global Christian Population to reach 3.3 BN by 2050. Nishant Xavier 270 13498 September 30, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1488 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Question about "faith" rockyrockford 428 35565 December 22, 2020 at 9:50 am
Last Post: Apollo
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2973 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4540 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  If the Bible is false, why are its prophecies coming true? pgardner2358 3 1655 June 9, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Why Science and religious faith are in conflict. Jehanne 28 7896 May 1, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why Anarcho-Capitalism Is a Canard and Its Implications for Atheism log 110 12860 January 19, 2017 at 11:26 pm
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Believers, put yourself in my place. Gawdzilla Sama 102 13326 November 23, 2016 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  My atheism religious faith is being shaken... Won2blv 37 8890 November 14, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene