Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Do You Perceive Death?
How Do You Perceive Death?
Hi,

I would like to ask, especially to atheists, on how do you perceive death? your death and the people that you love.

Or have you lost someone you love when you have de-converted to athesists?

Sorry I don't want to ask a gloomy question but the following things happened to me in a row:

1. A friend lose his wife due to maternity death

2. Another someone I don't really know, lose his wife also caused by maternity death. The maternity death rate is high in this place.
Both of them, are returning to their God, believe that the women died will go to heaven and get the highest place. Let's not really discuss this stupidity, as this is just one method to ease pain.

3. An then, I watched movie titled "Patch Adams", and he said
Quote:"what's wrong with death? what are we so mortally afraid of? why can't we treat death with a certain amount of humanity and dignity and decency and, God Forbid maybe a sense of humor?"

I still do not have a firm understanding on what death is.

Probably you can also recommend some readings.

Thanks a lot. Hope we live long enough before we die.
RE: How Do You Perceive Death?
Death is peace. Peace disgusts me, but perhaps some in severe turmoil might desire it.

Death is boring. Nothing happens past it. Luckily, you don't care: cause your dead.

God is a poor method to ease pain. Assuming God is responsible for creating all: so too is God responsible for creating death, pain, heartache, suffering, hate, spite, fear, terror, panic, and the goddamn leeches.

Heaven sucks. It's spent in complete slavery. Hell sucks. It's spent in complete freedom. Heaven sucks. It is spent superficial... no more pain, no more suffering, hate, heartache, fear, terror... it's boring. Hell sucks. It is spent excess... too much pain, too much suffering, too much hate, too much heartache, too much fear, too much terror... it's eternal excess bores one into even more depraved excess until that too bores them.

Life is pretty damn awesome... don't squander it thinking about death.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
You miss the people you love. You miss them whether they leave the room, or leave this world.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Sad, death is sad, but only for those who are still living.
(August 13, 2011 at 3:13 pm)shadowdancer Wrote: Hi,

As you point out in the movie, with a sense of humour mostly. Death can be quite deadly, and is quite often permanent, zombies, vampires, and such notwithstanding. Wiccans, and Discordians, pretty much have their own individual opinions about it. No book of rules (other than the Principia Discordia, which doesn't say much about it).

As to maternity death, I am sorry for your friends' and your own loss. Not meaning to be tongue-in-cheek about this, in which place do you live? If it is an industrialised nation and has a high maternity death rate, my guess would be the United States.

And as long as there are those that remember them, they are not truly gone. They live on within the lives of others they have touched.

James.

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
Some say death is the final unknown, but as far as I know death is simply the termination of life; the end of the biological functions that sustain any given living organism, like you and me. I can only grasp my morality now for I am alive and able to, but I cannot hope to perceive the state of death once am I dead, when the bodily processes and brain functions stop it is the cessation of my consciousness as well. I won't be able to perceive or experience, well, anything more, including my life I'm living right now.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic here though I can't say death is sad anymore than I can say 'pre-life' is sad.
Death is exactly like the following post:
/begin post

/end post

....and no more.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
^ Except the blank empty void before the /end post goes on indefinitely.
(August 13, 2011 at 3:13 pm)shadowdancer Wrote: Hi,

I would like to ask, especially to atheists, on how do you perceive death?

I still do not have a firm understanding on what death is.

When a person dies, perception simply stops, and then there is nothing. The important thing is what we do while we are alive, so focus on that while we are here. The grieving process for those who are still alive is complex, and for that I would recommend a strong, scientific therapist to guide you.
Death can be a powerful influence over our religious beliefs. After my first friend died, I convinced myself that he was somewhere in an afterlife even though I had never believed in one before. When my second friend died, I convinced myself there ust be a higher power directing our fate, because I didn't want to believe I had lost two good friends due to the random circumstances of life. Once the emotions I felt from the trauma wore off, I realized that I simply believed because that's what I needed.

Death is merely the cessation of our biological functions and nothing more. It can be difficult to deal with and some people cope by putting an intentional cause behind it. All in all, death is just the ultimate reason to make the most of life.

Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell