Current time: 23rd April 2014, 13:58

Our server costs $125 a month to run. Since November 2013 we have raised $280!
Please help keep our community online by donating what you can.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Important Updates
23rd December 2011, 18:42
  11k posts! 5 years membership!
Important Updates
Some of you have been noticing that the server is getting overloaded a lot more frequently in recent weeks. This is in part due to the growth of the forums we've had this year, and the larger amount of requests it has to handle as a result. We bought this dedicated server almost two years ago, and at the time it handled our needs perfectly well.

However, this is clearly not the case anymore. Our current server has a single-core 2.66 GHz processor, with 2GB of RAM. It costs us roughly $600 a year to lease. Any upgrade from this is going to be more expensive, for obvious reasons, and with all the hassle involved with moving to a new server (as those who experienced the "crash of 2011" will know), we need to think long-term. It's very possible that in the next year or two, the site could double or triple in size, especially with all the things we have planned for the community.

So, we're going to be proactive. We have until 1st April (when our lease runs out) to get a new server, which is just over 3 months to raise the funds. How much? Well, if we're going to be realistic, we're probably looking at double what we pay now for a server that we can use for at least the next few years. That being said, it's really a matter of the more you donate, the more options we have.

To that end, this year we're starting our "Donation Drive" early. It'll officially launch on 1st January, but if you have some money now (or get some over Christmas), the donation link is always the same: http://atheistforums.org/donate.php

As always, if you donate any amount and can prove it (usually by sending me a PM that includes the email address and amount of donation), you'll get to have a lovely green username, and be forever a member of the "Donators" group.

Finally, if you have any ideas in regard to making more money, or rewarding those who donate, please share them with us!

With that said, I hope you all (atheist and theist alike) have a very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year.

-Atheist Forums Staff
Rate user Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23rd December 2011, 19:24
  3k posts! 2 years membership!
RE: Important Updates
I already donated $100 i think?, but i didnt get my green letters!!! Big Grin

I shall donate more in January, how much for green letters and a night with summer? Smile
23rd December 2011, 19:26
Can you send me a PM with the donation details (i.e. the email address / name you used to donate with).
23rd December 2011, 19:32
  7k posts! 3 years membership!
(23rd December 2011 19:24)5thHorseman Wrote:  I already donated $100 i think?, but i didnt get my green letters!!! Big Grin

I shall donate more in January, how much for green letters and a night with summer? Smile

I believe she told me it was 2,000 per hour.

...... I'm still saving up Big Grin

(I'd of payed more)
If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward than brother, that person is a piece of shit.

AND we have yet another christard doing the kind of verbal gymnastics and mental contortions that would make a pretzel barf. [Image: Cherna-facepalm.gif]
Kudos given by (3): 5thHorseman, KichigaiNeko, Minimalist
23rd December 2011, 21:41
  12k posts! 5 years membership!
2000 what? Big Grin
Nothing is so ignorant as the ignorance of certainty. ALDOUS HUXLEY.
29th December 2011, 00:02
I have decided I am going to break down and get a checking account after the new year. I would be glad to donate when I do.
29th December 2011, 00:07
  9k posts! 3 years membership!
I really want to contribute but there's no way in this or any other world I can come close to the amounts mentioned so far. I could manage some sort of lesser, more pocket money amount if it would do any good. Makes me out to be rather cheap though.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

Spending your life waiting for the messiah to come and save the world is like waiting around for the straight piece to come in Tetris. Even if it comes, by that time you've accumulated a mountain of shit so high that you're fucked no matter what you do.

Remember, if we don't sin, poor old Jesus died for nothing.
Rate user Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29th December 2011, 00:14
Stimbo,

We aren't asking for any specific amount for any member. Donate what you can; even $1 is appreciated. Please don't think you have to donate $20 or $50 or something. Whilst we do get generous donations each year, most of the budget is made up of small donations from lots and lots of members.

We don't judge people on how much they can give; some of our members have great jobs, others are unemployed, some aren't even out of high school. The rules have always been, that if you donate any amount, you qualify for "promotion" to the Donators group.
Kudos given by (2): houseofcantor, 5thHorseman
29th December 2011, 00:15
Not at all stimbo, every bit counts.
29th December 2011, 00:21
  9k posts! 3 years membership!
Much appreciated, Tiberius (how do you pronounce that, anyway?). I wasn't sure about how this sort of thing works and I got a bit scared off by talk of $100 etc. Plus, as I said, I wasn't all that confident that a mini donation would make much of a dent. However, your words have cleared things up for me; soon as I can manage a donation I'll get in touch. Thanks again.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

Spending your life waiting for the messiah to come and save the world is like waiting around for the straight piece to come in Tetris. Even if it comes, by that time you've accumulated a mountain of shit so high that you're fucked no matter what you do.

Remember, if we don't sin, poor old Jesus died for nothing.
Rate user Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Security Updates Tiberius 9 889 14th July 2013 02:37
Last Post: Cthulhu Dreaming
  Preaching Rule Changes & Punishment Updates Tiberius 15 2738 25th October 2012 22:34
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  SSL Updates Tiberius 1 669 15th August 2012 17:04
Last Post: Napoléon
  Donation Updates Tiberius 14 2257 30th March 2012 23:00
Last Post: Tiberius
  Domain Name Updates Tiberius 4 885 6th March 2012 21:44
Last Post: Minimalist
  Donation Updates Tiberius 5 2520 17th January 2012 18:05
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Forum Layout Updates & Debate Motions Tiberius 6 2000 22nd November 2010 07:07
Last Post: Ryft
  Server Updates Tiberius 0 1079 13th May 2010 23:59
Last Post: Tiberius

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)