Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 12:53 am

Poll: Anyone else ever feel like they've done this on the Internet?
This poll is closed.
Yes.
100.00%
1 100.00%
No.
0%
0 0%
Blueberry Muffins.
0%
0 0%
Total 1 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone had a debate like this?
Anyone had a debate like this?
I recently came upon this show called Jam after discovering Chris Morris through the famous Paedogeddon episode of Brass Eye, and this sketch mirrors an experience I have often had when debating theists on other forums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYFQZFL0yoo

A lot of times on a previous forum, I decided to avoid having discussions with theists, but then sometimes, I see someone saying something so stupid that I just have to comment upon it, and a comment evolves into a discussion and a discussion devolves into an argument, and so I decided to just give up on debating. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Anyone else ever feel like this?
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
RE: Anyone had a debate like this?
(December 27, 2011 at 9:04 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Anyone else ever feel like this?

Absolutely. Most of the time I'll type out a lengthy reply setting out the reasons I think someone is wrong or lying or whatever, sprinkled with links to sources that I've gone out of my way to research; and just as I'm about to put the finishing touches to ten or twenty minutes work, I'll suddenly think "What am I doing? Fuck it, I don't actually care about any of this" and the whole lot goes in the bin. My post count would actually be much higher if I had less integrity and simply posted for the sake of it. Hence the resorting to bad puns and hissy fits.

Of course there are occasions when I just know that I'm factually right and I end up frustrated, trying to convince someone who simply will not see.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
RE: Anyone had a debate like this?
He didn't strangle her. Now that's restraint.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Star Trek: Picard - Way Better then I had Hoped AFTT47 17 1298 January 29, 2020 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Highly doubt anyone will like this song Heat 19 4076 January 10, 2016 at 8:53 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Kent Hovind challenges Thunderf00t to a debate! Cyberman 50 11260 September 20, 2015 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
Video Video | UNCUT Christopher Hitchens & Stephen Fry debate Woody68 1 1251 April 8, 2013 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: Nine
  Carrier vs. Licona debate on the resurrection Tea Earl Grey Hot 7 3756 July 1, 2012 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Hilarious Atheist vs. Theist debate highlights Tea Earl Grey Hot 4 3154 May 9, 2012 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Debate ability quiz. Ziploc Surprise 2 1449 November 5, 2011 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Erinome
  Every Debate With A Creationist.... Minimalist 4 2633 September 13, 2011 at 7:43 am
Last Post: searchingforanswers
  Debate: Keynesian vs Austrian Economics and the Financial crisis theVOID 2 2394 December 25, 2010 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: theVOID
  Debate:Hitchens, Harris, Dennett vs D'Souza, Boteach, Taleb. leo-rcc 4 4100 January 5, 2010 at 11:38 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet