Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 6:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How practical is it to major in astrophysics?
How practical is it to major in astrophysics?
First of all I would like to apologize if I posted this in the wrong forum.

I love astronomy, and I can say that my passion for it really drives me. I don't think words can really express my love and fascination for astronomy which I'm sure is the case for many people as well. However, I am seriously considering majoring in astronomy and physics. But how practical is it? It seems like a huge risk that I'm taking just to end up jobless and realized I wasted all these times....What can I do as a career with such majors?
RE: How practical is it to major in astrophysics?
As far as I am aware, about the only job opportunities directly applicable to a major in astrophysics are in astrophysical research. I'm not aware of any significant opportunities outside of academia. If you can find work as an astrophysicist, you are not likely to make a lot of money. If it's something you're interested in, it might be worthwhile to contact someone in the astronomy/physics department of a university that has such programs and see what they say about career opportunities. If you do decide to go that route, be good at advanced mathematics. You'll need it.

If it were me, I would probably consider a double major with something else more practical in case it didn't pan out.

Disclaimer: I'm not an astrophysicist, I'm just an amateur astronomer who shares your love of astronomy and did a little bit of looking into the career possibilities in the past. It turned out I don't have the chops for the math so an amateur I remain. Big Grin

P.S. You might ask aleialoura directly in case she doesn't see this thread. If I'm not mistaken, at one time she was majoring in astrophysics at one point.
(December 31, 2011 at 3:17 am)passionatefool Wrote: First of all I would like to apologize if I posted this in the wrong forum.

I love astronomy, and I can say that my passion for it really drives me. I don't think words can really express my love and fascination for astronomy which I'm sure is the case for many people as well. However, I am seriously considering majoring in astronomy and physics. But how practical is it? It seems like a huge risk that I'm taking just to end up jobless and realized I wasted all these times....What can I do as a career with such majors?

It's hard. Very very very very hard. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't a math fanatic. You have to REALLY LOVE MATH, and be pretty much gifted.

It can be practical.

http://www.winentrance.com/career_course...hsics.html

You have to be really devoted. It's a fascinating subject, but overall, it's tedious to learn. I switched to Anthropology because the math was ridiculous. I'm not that smart. If you're in love with math, and great at it, go for it.

I certainly hope so. I'm hoping to return to college in fall of '12 and I intend to go the astrophysics route.
If possible, I might also go the route of quantum physics as well. I'd like to have a well-rounded perspective.
I've tested quite well in math, so I'm hoping it can carry me far beceause I know I'll need it.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
hmmm thanks guys. I'm still looking into it. I would like to know as much as possible about it before I decide if I want to or not. So far the problem I see, and probably the biggest problem is math. I will admit I am not a fan of mathematics and though I'm not bad at math, I'm not that great either. I have decided even if I wont major in it, I will remain amateur as well for sure.
(December 31, 2011 at 3:50 am)TheDarkestOfAngels Wrote: I certainly hope so. I'm hoping to return to college in fall of '12 and I intend to go the astrophysics route.
If possible, I might also go the route of quantum physics as well. I'd like to have a well-rounded perspective.
I've tested quite well in math, so I'm hoping it can carry me far beceause I know I'll need it.

That must be pretty exciting! Quantum physic is just absolutely fascinating though I never completely understand it.
(December 31, 2011 at 3:32 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: As far as I am aware, about the only job opportunities directly applicable to a major in astrophysics are in astrophysical research. I'm not aware of any significant opportunities outside of academia. If you can find work as an astrophysicist, you are not likely to make a lot of money. If it's something you're interested in, it might be worthwhile to contact someone in the astronomy/physics department of a university that has such programs and see what they say about career opportunities. If you do decide to go that route, be good at advanced mathematics. You'll need it.

If it were me, I would probably consider a double major with something else more practical in case it didn't pan out.

Disclaimer: I'm not an astrophysicist, I'm just an amateur astronomer who shares your love of astronomy and did a little bit of looking into the career possibilities in the past. It turned out I don't have the chops for the math so an amateur I remain. Big Grin

P.S. You might ask aleialoura directly in case she doesn't see this thread. If I'm not mistaken, at one time she was majoring in astrophysics at one point.

Hmmm well I am not exactly looking for a high pay job, just enough to get by, though I would imagine I wont be able to find any jobs with anything lower than a Phd.
(December 31, 2011 at 3:41 am)aleialoura Wrote:
(December 31, 2011 at 3:17 am)passionatefool Wrote: First of all I would like to apologize if I posted this in the wrong forum.

It's hard. Very very very very hard. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't a math fanatic. You have to REALLY LOVE MATH, and be pretty much gifted.

It can be practical.

http://www.winentrance.com/career_course...hsics.html

You have to be really devoted. It's a fascinating subject, but overall, it's tedious to learn. I switched to Anthropology because the math was ridiculous. I'm not that smart. If you're in love with math, and great at it, go for it.

I think i'm devoted...but geez math is probably going to be a problem lol...
I considered majoring in astronomy in college, until I realized that
1. There is no career that would interest me without a PhD
2. There are about 30 job openings each year in the WORLD, POSSIBLY THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE, for astronomy PhDs.
Oh - one more thing. If you're not involved in a local amateur astronomy group, I would recommend it. You can do useful research as an amateur.
Its well known in the uk that physics, maths, engineering and economics students are at the top of graduate employment statistics, so go for it.

And phds astrophysicists are liked in quant finance jobs and earn shit loads.
You could always teach! LOL

Shit, you could run a website and make a decent amount of cash. Fuck it. Go for it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Einstein is practical, but not theoretical? robinhood 20 2611 April 17, 2018 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Joods
  SMASH Theory Claims to Solve 5 Major Questions of Physics AFTT47 0 1238 February 20, 2017 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Some fun stuff expected in 2016 in astrophysics... Fake Messiah 29 3349 August 16, 2016 at 11:29 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Practical uses of big science projects Iroscato 18 5537 June 8, 2015 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics - Carroll & Ostlie TubbyTubby 11 5742 March 4, 2015 at 7:00 am
Last Post: Alex K