Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coming out of the closest as an atheist
Coming out of the closest as an atheist
Lets talk about our experience and how we become an atheist, and how people react to it.

For me, most of the reaction was disappointment. I was extremely religious but I was a Buddhist. But I was a Pure Land buddhist which is very similar to Christianity, you recite and have faith in this one specific buddha and after you die, he will come and take you to a Pure Land/Buddha Land where there is no suffering, only bliss. One difference is that you are not suppose to remain in this Buddha Land, you are suppose to become a Buddha and have your own Buddha land.....Anyway I was a youth group leader and even teach Buddhism to younger kids. I was very active and do alot for the monastery I attended.

Initially I wanted to ordain and enter the monastic life. So when I left Buddhism, most of the elders and the Bhiksus were really disappointed and "surprised", but their general attitude toward it was "Well, the Buddha's words are true but you go search for what works for you". The reaction from my Dharma brothers are something of a mix between sadness, disappointment, and anger.

I actually explored different traditions of Buddhism and religions for a while after that, I remained a Chan/Zen buddhist for a while, then I became "spiritual" but then I ultimately abandon buddhism and religion completely in general.

What's funny is that the reaction I got from my friends (all Christians) when I tell them I'm an atheist is more hostile and aggressive. Though not happy, they prefer that I'm a Buddhist, but when I'm an atheist, it is the end of the world. Most of them are very eager to debate me and somewhat find me offensive, atleast to them.

Sometimes it is harder to come out of the closest as an atheist than a gay lol.
RE: Coming out of the closest as an atheist
Hello, P/F

Once you dismiss one god they pretty much all fall by the wayside.

Welcome.
(January 1, 2012 at 10:53 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Hello, P/F

Once you dismiss one god they pretty much all fall by the wayside.

Welcome.

Lol thanks

and yep, that is pretty much how it is. Sometimes I wonder why religions fight among themselves, they are all pretty similar.
Quote:Sometimes I wonder why religions fight among themselves

Market share.
(January 1, 2012 at 10:48 pm)passionatefool Wrote: Though not happy, they prefer that I'm a Buddhist, but when I'm an atheist, it is the end of the world.

Wait...what?Confused Fall
I guess it doesn't matter what you believe as long as you believe in something.

My story:
I was never that religious. The only reason why I was a Christian before is because it was the only thing that I knew. I actually began to question my beliefs when I found out about other beliefs. But I stuck with Christianity for a few more years because, well, I didn't want to be wrong if I decided to go with something else/Pascal's Wager.

The first person I came out to was my best friend, who was not at all surprised. "You've been questioning religion a lot", she said. Then I told a few more friends, who also didn't mind but had tons of questions for me. Next thing I knew, I just came right out with it anytime any of my classmates asked, regardless of whether or not they'd like me afterwards. I didn't care.
Then I told my mother, who was not as open about it, especially my reasons for becoming an atheist. We got into a big fight in which she kept trying to convince me I'm "just an agnostic", her reason being that she would accept me if I were agnostic. Facepalm But then she decided we would just "agree to disagree". We haven't talked about it since then.
Don’t ask.

Atheist
I Evolved!
(January 2, 2012 at 12:35 am)Diamond Wrote: Then I told my mother, who was not as open about it, especially my reasons for becoming an atheist. We got into a big fight in which she kept trying to convince me I'm "just an agnostic", her reason being that she would accept me if I were agnostic. Facepalm But then she decided we would just "agree to disagree". We haven't talked about it since then.

Lmao that is kind of funny...but sad. So agnostic is curable by Christian, atheist is hopeless lol....

but I hope it didn't messed up your relationship with your mom. I bet it's hard because it is such a daily thing that involves family like going to church.
All my friends freaked. They were all fundamental/evangelical christians. When having a debate about religion, I asked my friend why she believed that the earth is less than 10k years old, and she said because that's what the bible says, yada yada. I got angry and said that it was stupid to believe that, considering the overwhelming evidence, and began to tell her all about it. She said my intelligence is a curse.

My intelligence is a curse!??!!??"

No, bitch, I don't think so... but your stupidity is making me want to spike your drink with birth control so you don't breed more stupid people.

When I hit the age of reason at twelve, I realized it was all made up. The only people I had to 'come out' to were my parents, because I wanted them to stop forcing me to go to church. They obliged and we never talked about it again.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I have been an atheist all my life... No biggie.

People don't seem annoyed at my atheist, but my constant rambling about science that they don't understand Tongue
I always sit there every couple of minutes and ask "did you know......?". I never run out of interesting facts.
Cunt
When I was a kid I believed in God and Father Xmas.
I gave up beliving in God first because Father Xmas seemed to me to be
more believable. It's easier to get down one chimney at a time than be
able to go down ALL chimneys at the same time. Big Grin
"People are like black holes. They are self centred!"
"You are what was in your mother's genes and what was in your father's jeans!"
"If the Buck stops here, how can the Doe go all the way?"

(Albert's original quotes)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coming Out TheJefe817 8 1130 April 1, 2023 at 4:36 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  (Sensitivity required) Coming out to someone SlowCalculations 12 1743 October 27, 2019 at 6:14 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  List of religious end times/Second coming of Jesus predictions purplepurpose 13 4166 November 22, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  If the Bible is false, why are its prophecies coming true? pgardner2358 3 1638 June 9, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Why am I still worrying about coming out as atheist? Der/die AtheistIn 48 5510 February 11, 2018 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  It's coming up to that time of year again... The Valkyrie 40 12132 September 23, 2017 at 11:49 am
  Who reacted the worst when you "came out" as an Atheist? godlessheatheness 45 4664 April 7, 2017 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7001 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
  what do you think about immortality coming? Rextos 61 7701 March 6, 2016 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Cato
  Demons coming down... Veritas 32 7040 December 25, 2015 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: Alex K