Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
atheist parents
Lightbulb 
atheist parents
I was wondering how atheist raise their children in a world full of religious people trying to shove their beliefs down other people's throats. I don't have kids but I want some someday.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? -Epicurus
RE: atheist parents
Like other people, take my parents for example.
I was quite influenced by my father on an ideological scale, although he's too fixed in his opinions, and we have quite a lot of arguments.
He's short on temper too, and a very harsh man sometimes.
But he's my old man, whatchagonnado? In 20 days I get to see my family again, I missed them.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNoh1dd_19I

Perhaps this might help. I'm in the same boat as you, however.
Brevity is the soul of wit.
I would explain to them that they live in a world where a lot of people believe in the idea of deity. I would encourage them to always ask questions and find out the answers for themselves. I would teach them how to think and not what to think and let them take their own journey.

Note: I would intervene if they started having the idea that God was going to toast them in Hell. Not interested in my kids being scared shit-less. Although I think Aleia will have a lot of good insight to offer since she is an atheist parent :o
(January 7, 2012 at 2:20 am)Voltair Wrote: I would explain to them that they live in a world where a lot of people believe in the idea of deity. I would encourage them to always ask questions and find out the answers for themselves. I would teach them how to think and not what to think and let them take their own journey.

Note: I would intervene if they started having the idea that God was going to toast them in Hell. Not interested in my kids being scared shit-less. Although I think Aleia will have a lot of good insight to offer since she is an atheist parent :o

Well, I didn't really talk too much to my parents about religion when I was little, but I mostly talked with my grandparents, who were mildly religious.
I got most of my knowledge about the native religion here(Islam), from them, but my father knew a lot more than any of us, although mostly on a theological basis, rather than a practical one.
My grandmother had practical knowledge, so she taught me how to pray and stuff...
When I got a little older, I began to discuss religion, however that was overshadowed when I began to develop ideas, drastically different from what my father and mother had. That was the source for most of the drama in the house.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
The only thing you can really do for your children is teach them to think for themselves. If they decide to believe in god, there's not a lot you can do about it. I was religious when my son was younger, and he came to church with me, we prayed before meals etc. He's 18 now, barely remembers it, and he's an atheist.

Kids will decide for themselves, all you can do is be there for them and support them no matter what - that's what they'll remember and believe in in the end.
"No-one who decides that scientific evidence is not for him and that his own experience or the stories of others is the be all and end all of deciding what's true ever has the right to call people searching for reliable, repeatable evidence narrow-minded. That is hypocrisy of the most laughable kind." Derren Brown - Tricks of the Mind.
The number one rule in my house- Question everything, especially authority.

Our moral code is the golden rule. We have open discussions about anything and everything. I never lie to them, even about the tooth fairy/santa (my daughter is "anglostic" about fairies). I want them to trust what I say, and I shoot them straight. If I don't know the answer to their question, I don't make shit up to fill in the gap. We look it up, and if no answer can be found then I tell them the question they've asked is unanswered. We talk about everything from sex from a biological standpoint (they're really young), to what marijuana is, and why it's stupid that its illegal. I want them to have a keen understanding of the world so that there isn't much shock when they're thrust out into it. Because of this, my son (7) and my daughter (5), can tell you every Republican nominee, how old the earth is, quote Carl Sagan, and burp the alphabet. We have a lot of science talk in my house too. Can't have enough of that!

Most parents, I've noticed, think it disrespectful when they tell a child to do something and the child asks "why?". I encourage my kids to ask why, and view it as a learning opportunity. If you tell a child why you want him/her to do something, the next time, they won't wonder and they'll understand. Understanding is one of the most important things you can ever teach your kids, IMO. Failure at school, and laziness with studies is simply not an option. They can be what ever they want to be, say whatever they want to say, and they know mom loves them, no matter what.

I encourage their imagination, and show them that there are plenty of realities to imagine and wonder about.

Told you she would Tongue
thanks
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? -Epicurus
I do not have any children but
what we teach them should also
apply to adults too. I have two basic
and inviolable absolutes which we all
should employ and without any exception
The invocation of The Golden Rule which pre
dates Christianity even though it was advocated
by Jesus himself. Now forget about any philosophical
objections : this is the moral foundation for how we should
live our life. Second fundamental is the way we reference our
reality. We should learn to question everything and accept nothing
and not be worried about consequences either. For the greats did that
Galileo - Copernicus - Newton - Darwin - Einstein - as they were not afraid
to contemplate that which was not accepted - they challenged convention and
we are all the better for it but we also need to understand that logic and reason the
tools of objective inquiry are not perfect but they are the best we have none the less so
need to use then anyway. But also remember we are nothing at the end of the day in cosmic
terms : the Universe cares not a jot about us so the sooner we understand that the better. Socrates
once said he knew nothing and we need to remember that we have limitations to our capabilities but can
still strive to improve ourselves both intellectually and morally. That is what we need to reference and pass to
our offspring : helping our fellow man and seeking knowledge - these two should be the universal standard : end of
[ I have just read your post aleialoura and we think exactly the same - you and I share some deep truth man so welcome ]
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Angry parents over "Islam Homework" LOL??? GoHalos1993 41 8846 December 19, 2015 at 5:20 am
Last Post: abaris
  Any advice on coming out to my parents? BitchinHitchins 26 6771 August 2, 2015 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Parents forcing a christian convention on me - how to keep sane? coolfunkDJ 68 12621 April 4, 2015 at 5:06 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  How should I go about telling my parents that I'm atheist Ghost2282 12 3291 February 15, 2015 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
Sad Dealing with overly emotional christian parents? interstice 17 3897 September 22, 2014 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Telling my parents that I'm an atheist- need advice. King Dez 16 3196 August 14, 2014 at 3:06 am
Last Post: King Dez
  Parents Don't See The Irony LivingNumbers6.626 8 2764 July 31, 2014 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  How to tell parents I'm an atheist Creeper23782 63 14540 April 4, 2014 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Phatt Matt s
  would you tell your parents one day that you are an atheist ? Marsellus Wallace 71 12320 March 15, 2014 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: My imaginary friend is GOD
  ever think that parents kinda have it rough?? leodeo 7 2041 January 14, 2014 at 9:59 am
Last Post: NoraBrimstone