Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kanzi the bonobo
Kanzi the bonobo
Building a fire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEIBsYrwlUk

Flint knapping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zsSH9UUQtQ

Communications

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dhc2zePJFE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRM7vTrIIis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxmbjLoUnhk

Plus

Quote:Kanzi was kept in a separate room of the Great Ape Project and shown some yogurt. Kanzi made some vocalizations which his sister could hear; his sister, Panbanisha, who could not see the yogurt, then pointed to the lexigram for yogurt, suggesting those vocalizations may have meaning.

Kanzi can also play Pac-Man.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
RE: Kanzi the bonobo
There are some cognitive tasks that chimps are actually better at than human beings (visual and short term memory being standouts...it isn't even close on those two counts..they're machines and we're morons). Humbling stuff really.

A fun thing to do, to give yourself a giggle. Make some chimp noises. The trick is to express tone and pitch on the inhale as well as the exhale. Maybe you're calling someone an asshole in bad chimp (and it tickles babies pink....mine seem to have a natural talent for it..lol). It's long been known that chimp "calls" are communication, and a handful of them have been shown to be nearly uniform among all wild populations, such as the danger call. There's some crackpot scientist (I'll try to google him for the lulz) that's made his career scaring the shit out of chimps by imitating danger calls himself.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I love the fire-building video! That's genius. He 0wnz those sticks to make firewood!
[Image: siguf.jpg]
(January 13, 2012 at 9:26 am)Braveheart Wrote: He 0wnz those sticks to make firewood!

Yea and considering that he could probably do the same thing with someone like Epimethean just makes me respect the people that work with him all that much more.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(January 13, 2012 at 2:25 pm)popeyespappy Wrote:
(January 13, 2012 at 9:26 am)Braveheart Wrote: He 0wnz those sticks to make firewood!

Yea and considering that he could probably do the same thing with someone like Epimethean just makes me respect the people that work with him all that much more.

Either way, I WANT A BONOBO!
[Image: siguf.jpg]
(January 13, 2012 at 2:32 pm)Braveheart Wrote:

No you don't. Their thought processes are totally alien to us due to the complexity of primates.

You didn't think humans broke off from chimps just because they were ugly, right?

From what we've observed of emerging speciation, it starts with cultural/behavioral differences.

It only follows that early pre-humans found chimpanzees "alien" enough to split off their own breeding pool. I'm not certain how bad it was then, but I'm fairly confident that a chimpanzee is as close to an unpredictable and alien thinking entity as we can get -- so similar, yet so different.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(January 13, 2012 at 2:32 pm)Braveheart Wrote:

I don't know if one would be able to stand the cold here... They probably smell aswell. And they don't buy you whisky.
Cunt

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Be Like Bonobo's chimp3 15 1857 August 16, 2016 at 5:00 pm
Last Post: Cyberman