Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use of religious language in every day speech
Use of religious language in every day speech
The vast majority of people, atheist, christian and agnostic seem to say things like 'oh my god' and 'jesus christ' to express shock. Myself included. However, I've come to see it as a bad thing, not least because I'm claiming god as my own. I was wondering what other people here thought about it.

To be honest, I don't expect people to start thinking I'm religious because I say oh my god, and I'm aware that some religious people think it is taking the lords name in vain (and thus it follows that if I were intending to offend xtians, I should use it more). Its more the fact that religion seems to be so ingrained in so called secular societies that it seems secular.

As a matter of principle, I now try not to say it, but I've struggled to find anything to replace it with. My immediate replacement for 'oh my god' is 'jesus christ', which isn't any better. 'Oh my gosh' seems weird to me, as does 'oh my goodness'. Right now, I'm settling on 'oh your god'.
[Image: 2ynjmte.jpg]
RE: Use of religious language in every day speech
I just tend to say "Shit". Or maybe sometimes "Fuck", if I'm really shocked I'll say "Cuntflap!".

But yeah, swearing in my opinion is far more satisfying and comes easier than "oh my god" or "jesus christ".
People used to say things like "god's speed". It has died out as the reference became outdated. I assume all religious language will die out sometime after religion dies out (if religion will indeed die out).
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

(January 14, 2012 at 9:57 pm)Ziploc Surprise Wrote: People used to say things like "god's speed". It has died out as the reference became outdated. I assume all religious language will die out sometime after religion dies out (if religion will indeed die out).

Gods have always been invoked in cursing, with the curses themselves becoming absorbed into the language. "God's bodkins" became the wonderfully mediaeval "Odd's bodkins"; "God's truth" evolved into "Strewth"; "(May) God blind me" gave us "Corblimey" or just plain "Blimey"; and so on. A particularly lovely example is "By Our Lady", which became "Bloody". Then there's all the euphemisms for Jesus and the devil, such as Jeepers and the deuce (which is a great name for an indie rock band).

So it's a bit more complex than just saying "Oh fuck" in place of "Oh God". I'm all for raising awareness of unconscious religious phraseology, however, at least where practical to do so; I don't bless someone for having survived a sneeze, for example.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Doesn't bother me.

(January 14, 2012 at 10:17 pm)Stimbo Wrote:
(January 14, 2012 at 9:57 pm)Ziploc Surprise Wrote: People used to say things like "god's speed". It has died out as the reference became outdated. I assume all religious language will die out sometime after religion dies out (if religion will indeed die out).

Gods have always been invoked in cursing, with the curses themselves becoming absorbed into the language. "God's bodkins" became the wonderfully mediaeval "Odd's bodkins"; "God's truth" evolved into "Strewth"; "(May) God blind me" gave us "Corblimey" or just plain "Blimey"; and so on. A particularly lovely example is "By Our Lady", which became "Bloody". Then there's all the euphemisms for Jesus and the devil, such as Jeepers and the deuce (which is a great name for an indie rock band).

So it's a bit more complex than just saying "Oh fuck" in place of "Oh God". I'm all for raising awareness of unconscious religious phraseology, however, at least where practical to do so; I don't bless someone for having survived a sneeze, for example.

Indeed and don't forget three extra words we were not allowed tosue at school; Gee (Jesus) Golly and Gosh . (God)

Being good little Catholic boys ,we would never knowingly blaspheme,so we said 'shit' or 'fuck',and if really peeved ; "cunt ", "cunt hooks", or "dead cunt".I still do,except rarely say "shit" any more; it''s vulgar.The other words are merely coarse and perfectly acceptable around adults.( unless speaking to my mother or a police officer) Tiger
I tend not to notice when people say religious phrases in the place of profanity. I tend to do it myself, though more when I'm shocked than when I'm angry or disgusted.

I do, however, know people who get offended by anyone "taking the lord's name in vain", so I'd say it really just depends on the person.

It seems like very religious people actually use those terms less than more secular people, but maybe I'm wrong.
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
I like ...and use...

'Oh My Ghey God'

'Wholly snapping Duck Dung'

'WTF' Just the letters

'Oh My DNA'

'Fardling 'ell'

And the gratuitous use of the word 'Fuck'

I have to get VERY angry or frustrated to use whole sentences.... Tongue

Angel Cloud Hope this helps
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
The use of such language is impossible to avoid, as it has become an integral part of almost every language that it has touched. Consider the phrase "goodbye" in english or spanish (adios). The etymology of both of these words (essentially the same phrase in both common usage, origin, and language) contains a reference to god. "God be with you (good bye)" and "With/To God/I commend you to god (adios)".

Language is a practical thing, it gets bent by it's usage. Phrases like "Jesus Christ" or "Oh my god" have come to mean something entirely different than an invocation, or even leveraging of a proper name or nouns. They're short, expressive, and can be used in conjunction with visual ques to convey a wide range of emotions, to communicate many different messages. As such they're extremely useful (just like "fuck"). It's likely that these phrases will change over time (perhaps becoming unrecognizable from their source) or that we'll find replacements for them both. I see nothing wrong with this.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
It doesn't really bother me. I say it. You hear things like 'God knows', or 'Oh my God', but it doesn't really mean it has any religious meaning. It's just an expression, and even if it did have religious undertones it wouldn't really bother me.

You could instead say something like 'Dawkins knows', or 'Oh my Dawk.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Have you met people criticizing atheists who use the expression OMG Der/die AtheistIn 30 4094 April 3, 2019 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Simon Moon
  As a now 13 year old atheist I feel obligated to use 4chan ScienceAf 17 3525 December 30, 2016 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Fact, every single german nazi was a christian Deepthunk 249 59693 August 16, 2016 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Best use of hymns and bible quotes in fiction? Lemonvariable72 14 3386 November 21, 2015 at 6:14 am
Last Post: pgrimes15
  Religious bumper stickers and other annoying religious actions. (rant, sorta) DIRTY_DEEDS_93 53 12711 May 25, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Man Crucified Every Year Manowar 10 3066 April 5, 2015 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  13 arguments atheists shouldn't use Dystopia 26 5419 February 3, 2015 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: Regina
  Persuasive speech help Philosojoey 9 1726 November 5, 2014 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: TreeSapNest
  Ayaan's recent Yale speech...cant find it. Brian37 7 2366 September 19, 2014 at 7:51 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Popular arguments you think Atheists shouldn't use Dolorian 43 6468 September 11, 2014 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants